We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving comparison

Baltimore
Level Contributor
46 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Driving comparison

Have seen numerous posts regarding driving in Grenada. Can anyone comment comparing to other islands? Specifically Dominica-- challanging, Aruba---easy. Thanks

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
659 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving comparison

We hired a driver for the day and glad we did. I think some of the roads we easy to navigate, but some were very narrow and winding.....sorry cannot compare to the islands you indicated.

I have driven in Turks and thought that was easy....flat, wide roads.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving comparison

Havent been to dominica, but arubas much flatter/easier. However the biggest issue for colonists is driving on lhe correct or left side, pretty alien if you havent done it. Certainly i found it a bit challenging for a while when i first drove on the right, but we drive on both sides a lot in ethe uk/europe.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving comparison

However, its not possibe to get very lost, and the spectacular countryside and views make it worth getting out and driving. Its worth it just to pick your own deserted beach. Just take it easy.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,159 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving comparison

given their similar topologies, I would be pretty confident in saying the driving in Grenada is similar to Dominica, certainly St Lucia and Grenada are similar and like Dominica, St Lucia is volcanic in origin with a very rugged interior.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving comparison

Ive also driven in st lucia, tobago, and a lot of flatter islands. Honestly i would say that driving over the grand etang is right up there in terms of dangerousness, a lot of it is narrow and without guard rails, with extreme hillsides. Actually its the clear danger that i think keeps drivers under manners, there arent many incidents up there, with more accidents on the western side which is quicker and i think has more traffic, but has plenty of cliffs... Tobago is like grenada but a lot more gentle with better roads, and St Lucia is somewhere between.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 07:00
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving comparison

Driving in Grenada is not hard at all. It's nearly impossible to get into a car accident if you drive the speed limit. Here is why: Buses (the main vehicle on the road) are driven by very skilled persons. I've been living here for two years and driving the ENTIRE island (no exaggeration). Trust me, other drivers do NOT want to hit you. Too much time and money and frustration that they don't have the luxury of spending. If you are clumsy, then you will cause irritation in drivers around you but they will swerve out of your way at the last second before "hitting" you. It's their way of telling you to get on your side of the road. Driving here, you will quickly learn that you can pass by huge vehicles on the the most slender stretches of road. When you fly back to your home country, your road may then look like a parking lot compared to Grenada's slender roads.

I can't compare to Dominica or Aruba as I've never been. But I've been to St. Lucia and Antigua. St. Lucia might be a 7 and Antigua a 10. Grenada would be about a 1 or 2 on that same 1-10 scale. Grenada scores poorly because of the MANY potholes, lack of many straight stretches of road (lots of turns to get over the Grand Etang mountain...well, the entire island is "left, right, left, right" ), lack of highways (they call one stretch of road a highway, but it's really just a straight road that leads to the airport and it much wider than usual. It's not a highway by any means), horrendous traffic light setups (there are only a handful of intersections that have lights anyway, but still, they are bruised and beaten and you can't tell what some of them even mean...unless you are a native), lack of bright reflective paint on speed humps/bumps, etc.

So don't let anyone scare you about the dangers of driving here in Grenada. Everyone is very skilled at driving here. It's not hard at all. What you want to look out for is how painful it is to drive here. Bumpy. Curvy. You cannot use cruise control. You have to "clock in" to work when you drive here. You have to pay attention, but you get used to it quickly. Again, it's not hard, it's just boring and annoying.

One other thing: The island is tiny. (in comparison to other places). For example, I'm from Phoenix, AZ. Grenada can fit into the metropolitan area of Phoenix a few times. Yet, I could probably drive from one end of Phoenix to the other faster than I could get from Grenville to St. Georges. You do NOT measure driving in distance here. You measure it in time. And driving here is VERY time consuming...unless you drive very fast like a lot of the bus drivers and commuters.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving comparison

I just bumped up the grenadian highway code thread. Its a great joke, but some of it is painfully true.

The things the poster above hasnt mentioned. There is little vehicle testing (i know a van with brakes on ONE wheel that has been legally on the road for years.

Drunk driving itself isnt illegal, and is actually a pretty popular pasttime at weekends.

Those holes and bumps take it out of cars, only the fit survive, the rest sort of limp, and occasionally fall down cliffs.

Bus drivers are truly very good at driving, and know every bump, after all they drive over the same road enough, problem is that you werent on that bit of road last time they passed, and at some times of day they are in a hurry to refill their customer tank at the next town.

People dont want to hit you, but i see local on local accidents most weeks in st georges, usually slow and not nasty bumps, but financially painful for them. The people who just got frightened by that duppy living near guave or had a few too many and just left the road towards the beach below, well it happens.

Edited: 05 March 2015, 13:43
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving comparison

haha! Very entertaining to read. :-)

Edited: 05 March 2015, 13:55
Maine
Level Contributor
251 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving comparison

Think how much easier driving would be around the world had the Brits not been allowed to conquer so much territory (sorry Bob). I have not researched it, but I am sure the origins for driving on the left had something to do with a king or queen preferring the closer view of the River Dee from the left side of the road on the way to Balmoral. In any event, that has left us with years of needing to reverse engineer cars to accommodate only a handful of countries. Thank God though that they did not reverse the gas and clutch pedals. That would have led to complete mayhem.

We only travel to islands that are safe to roam freely on, Grenada being one of them. I wouldn’t go to an island that did not provide plenty of exploring from a car, and as such we always rent one. As others have written take it easy and all will be fine, and when in doubt, think “left, left, left.” It will be entertaining no matter what you do…hilly, windy, narrow, steep, and with blind turns, but I am surprised no one has mentioned my favorite cause for alarm…the severe cement drainage ditches cut into the edges of the roads. You put a tire into one of those and you won’t be going anywhere until someone comes to lift you out….Which is why my wife is always telling me to stop driving in the middle of the road.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving comparison

wrong...

worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

I'd also compare Grenada to Dominica in terms of driving experience. I find other road users perhaps a little more considerate than some other islands (especially St Lucia), but that may be to do with the general niceness of Grenadians in general :)

Get answers to your questions about Grenada