We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tips

Hey! Interested in knowing how much to tip a taxi driver for a 25 USD fare? What do you tip a tour guide for all day tour- is it percent of total cost or is there a customary by hour tip rate :)

Thx! caite

Tropical Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sunsation Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Royalty Taxi and tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips

The only people imho entitled to a tip are the cleaners of your room plus anyone who impresses you with their service. There is unfortunately in some of the countries people visit from, a sense that tips are an entitlement, not a perk of doing an excellent job. This is what leads to zero hour contracts ridiculously low wages and employers actually charging employees for the benefit of being able to tout for tips, or taking a percentage of the tips.

You dont tip taxi drivers, they tell you how much to pay them at the start of the journey, or the same plus a lot if you dont ask.

Tour guides whatever you think is appropriate depending upon your experience, but likely to be between zero and 10 percent of the tour cost.

NB as a tourist, pretty much everything you buy has a tip built into the price :-)

Edited: 04 July 2014, 06:24
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,424 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips

This may sound cheap but I don't tip tour bus drivers. Thats their job and I've already paid for that excursion. The company should compensate the driver and tour op fairly, not the tourist. I don't do it at home. Second I tip the maid for a job well done. I also tip staff who go out of their way in service. If I tip a bartender its every 3 or 4 drinks. I do tip the bellhop or lugging our bags to the room. Buffet maybe, al a cartes absolutly, like I do at home.

Cheers

Cheers

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips

We are tippers and yes I come from the land of tipping. I build in the tips when I budget our vacations, so a few dollars here and there is not going to break my bank. On a $25 cab ride we would tip $3-5. All day tour we tip $20-30 for the two of us, depending on how much we liked the guide. If we stop for lunch or drinks we also invite our guide to join us and we pay for that.

And, yes, please do not forget to tip your housekeeper.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips

Thank you! This was so helpful!

5. Re: Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 06:16