We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I easily get a sim card for an unlocked IPhone 3gs?

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Can I easily get a sim card for an unlocked IPhone 3gs?

I have about a 6 yr old 3gs Iphone that I had unlocked to use in Bali. Are there places in Grenada to buy an appropriate sim card for this phone to make it functional for both voice and data in Grenada and Cariaccou. I like have a good phone, but I also like the ability to use SKYPE from my phone to call the US.

An y help would be appreciated. First trip to Grenada/Cariaccou ....one week each island in September.

thanks

joe

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I easily get a sim card for an unlocked IPhone 3gs?

Yes, you can easily buy a local SIM card from either Lime or Digicel. Where are you staying? There is an office supply store (name escapes me at the moment) at Spiceland Mall that sells the SIM card.

Victoria Texas
Level Contributor
392 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I easily get a sim card for an unlocked IPhone 3gs?

We're flying in on Friday nite.....overnighting someplace nice and reasonable between airport and ferry dock. Then taking Osprey over to Cariaccou the next morning for a week at Cottage near Belaire. Ferry back to Grenada following saturday to stay at Villa up above La Sagasse Bay. Will have car the whole two week.

thanks

Joe

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I easily get a sim card for an unlocked IPhone 3gs?

Sim card cist a few dollars, calls are 0.4 ec oer minute on both networks, data is a bit of a rip iff and lime has a much better infrastructure.

Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I easily get a sim card for an unlocked IPhone 3gs?

Just a followup - I imagine the original poster is just now arriving on the islands and hopefully can give some feedback on whether his venture was successful. I am traveling in a few months, and I have a 4S that I travel with unlocked, which I don't expect to be any more difficult than his 3GS was. What I am most curious about is data capabilities of the various (2) providers. We will be cruising from Grenada to Canouan and back, so offshore functionality is crucial. Also, ideally I will be able to use the personal hotspot to share the connection with other users, so if anyone knows whether these two providers allow it without requiring jailbreaking, that would be best. Finally, the amount of data is important. Since I may be sharing this data with up to 8 devices over a week, multiple GB of data and the cost thereof is my concern.

Any thoughts on the best option, and the answers to those three issues (offshore, personal hotspot, cost per gb)? Thanks!

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I easily get a sim card for an unlocked IPhone 3gs?

The islands data infrastructure is excellent, better than most bigger countries, columbus comms provide the subsea net with pairs of 7Gb fibres triangulated in venezuela, Grand Caymen and Miami. Your connection is throttled as you pay, and 4g is a rip off, but home fibre is impressive.

Wifi is free and quick at most restaurants and bars.

Edited: 15 September 2014, 07:08
Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I easily get a sim card for an unlocked IPhone 3gs?

We will not be on islands though, we will be on a boat between them. Does the 4G coverage extend to the water between the small islands from Grenada to Canouan? It looks like LIME will sell a SIM card with 2 GB for $70, and Digicel, 3 GB for $69. Which one is more likely to have fast speeds and reliable service between islands?

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I easily get a sim card for an unlocked IPhone 3gs?

Neither run the real network, the data signal wont get far from the islands, 5-10km? I wouldnt like to say which is better in your use case.

Nb tethering is normally controlled in its availability by the sim and by your provider in terms of bandwidth and how much you can use. Never needed to use it myself on the island.

8. Re: Can I easily get a sim card for an unlocked IPhone 3gs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Grenada