We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin's Ahoy boat trip

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Virgin's Ahoy boat trip

Can anyone tell me more about this boat excursion?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin's Ahoy boat trip

Certainly can as I went on it on Tuesday.

It is on a 60ft catamaran called Shadowfax which leaves from Grande Anse Beach, sails up to St Georges, round the harbour and then on to Flamingo Bay where it stops offshore for snorkelling. It then sails back south, round by the airport and to Hog Island where there is a barbie on the beach and you can swim if you want to. It then sails back to Grand Anse Beach.

Do not snorkle so cannot comment on that but we could see loads of fish (neons and Sergeant Majors) from the boat so presume it would be good.

The crew are great. Drinks (rum punch, beer, water and fruit juices) are free and they bring rounds snacks (bread and cheese, fruit on the boat). The barbie we had was lobster, chicken or veggie kebabs but I think they normally serve prawns instead of lobster. We had a glass of champagne when we arrived at Hog Island and then white wine - soft drinks were also available.

Hog Island is lovely. The water is very clear but gets deep quickly. There is plenty of shade if you want it.

The only point to bear in mind is when you sail up the Atlantic side (for about half an hour) it can get pretty choppy and very wet.

All in all, we loved it (2 adults, 2 kids - aged (8)).

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin's Ahoy boat trip

hey twinmom. you didnt mention how much it costs. I would like to know. as well as there schedule. do they have a website. thanks

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin's Ahoy boat trip

It's a tour organised by Virgin Holidays and it cost us about US$115 per adult (1/2 price for kids).

There is a small mention about the trip on the Virgin Holidays website.

The company who run the trip (at the Grenada end) are called Shadowfax Banana Boat Tours (a French couple) but I'm not sure whether they have a website - it might be worth doing a search.

Hope this helps.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin's Ahoy boat trip

Just to add - the boat left Grand Anse boat about 10 and returned about 4.30.

Wales
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin's Ahoy boat trip

I just wanted to add that I have done this trip as well and it was a fabulous day out. Highly recommended. My sister who lives on the island also recommends the round island trip as well as the sunset trip. Hoping to go on one when we return to Grenada in November.

Surrey
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin's Ahoy boat trip

Have just been to Grenada over the New Year and did the trip as well - absolutely great day out with a friendly crew and excellent lobster lunch. Sailed most of the day under sail and only had to use the engine to get back to the beach at Grand Anse. Brilliant.

7. Re: Virgin's Ahoy boat trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 01:20
Get answers to your questions about St. George's