We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

Suffolk
Level Contributor
296 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

Hi need some advice

we are toying between Grenada and St Kiits/Nevis and in Grenada choices seem to fall ebtwen Mount Cinnamon (which I am more keen on) and Coyaba (which partner prefers as being more traditional hotel).

I like idea of having ability to self cater but am not 100% sure of location of MC in realtion to local restaurants/bars etc? Can anyone help?

Also partner insists on a gym...I have seen one detailed at Coyaba but no pics, has anyone any info, the one at MC looks pretty good/new.

The easy access to beach at Coyaba also seems good and partner is swayed by the all inclusive option as he likes to just "have what he wants when he wants" LOL!

Any thought greatly welcomed...have posted on St Kitts forum as debating the Marriott there - we are torn as want to do both really!

thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

I've stayed at the Marriott in St. Kitts and while the hotel and rooms were really nice (and the bed oh-so-comfortable), the beach pales in comparison to Grand Anse. If beach is important, no contest, pick Coyaba or Mt. Cinnamon.

Mt. Cinnamon is a newer property and I'd say in a higher category than Coyaba. They get great reviews. Since it is hillside, you'll get great views of Grand Anse. You can easily walk to restaurants and the grocery store from MC. I believe they might even have a golf cart to take you to nearby restaurants in the evening. We saw them drop off some guests while we were dining at the Le Marquis Centre one night.

Coyaba is in a more central location, right across from the shopping centre and several restaurants. I have not eaten at Coyaba so cannot comment on their food.

Here's my 2 cents: MC has a more upscale feel. The tradeoff is you are not directly on the beach. If you want to be able to run back and forth to your room while lounging on the beach, then Coyaba would be a better choice.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

Big surprise I agree with Pigsterz....

I have spent a lot of time in St.Kitts and I have just returned for the 5th time to Grenada...here are my thoughts!

I know very little of Coyaba - but they have lovely beach chairs...that is it....

Mont Cinnamon on th other hand....great location with a nice restaurant and lovely unique pool. The location in terms of view is as fantastic as my beloved Flamboyant...There is also a little bar in the restaurant where you seem to get very personal care.

I have seen a unit but that was prior to Ivan the Hurricane...they looked really quality and a proper condo style with kitchen, bedrooms etc....I do like Flamboyant a bit better as it felt more open and airy - but that is personal preference.

MC has a driveway to walk down to the road then a parth through grass and garden to their spot on the beach....at the beach they have chairs and a covered beach patio with a small Savvys (restaurant at the hotel) I gather serving light food and drinks). I thought it all looked lovely and there were definetly less stairs and in that a less challenging trek to and from room than my beloved Flamboyant - but more waking than Coyaba.

MC is also well located in terms of surrounding food - Marquis nearby with La Boulangerie and Carib Sushi - the mall with fun fast food - on site Savvy's and I love the Owl pub on the beach at the Flamboyant - and many people make the trek around the road to Gem / Sur La Mer on Mourne Rouge Beach.... Coyaba has access to these places too....again I know little of this hotel.

Marriott at St.Kitts is a totally different experience than your other options. St. Kitts is also a fantstic island but the Marriott is more about the Marriott than the island - it is a bit removed, the beach is organized and on the atlantic so they have created a sheltered swim area to protect you from the waves... All the great fun that happens on St.Kitts does not really happen close to Marriott for example, Mr.Xs Shiggedy Shack or all the other great beach bars on the Caribbean side...I would choose another hotel on St.Kitts OR go with either in Grenada...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
857 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

I can highly recommend the Coyaba. We stayed there several years ago and were very pleased with the place. I would not go the all-inclusive route because you are limiting yourself from experiencing other wonderful dining choices on Grenada. The beach Grand Anse is spectacular and the beach chaise lounges comfy. You have access to the grocery store across the street and a few places within walking distance. I know nothing about CM, so I cannot compare. Grenada is lovely and so is St. Kitts, I don't think you can wrong with either choice.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

I stayed at the Coyaba last year and would go back with no hestation, great location, good staff and the AI option was fine for the week we were there.

Lovely gardens and the rooms were fine as well, in fact we had no problems at all and loved it.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
296 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

Thank you all so much for the time and comments I really do appreciate it.

Seems we ahve picked tqo great locations but am glad that my suspicions/own thoughts about the Marriott have been confirmed. I have told the other half if we do end up in St Kitts we will be at The Royal or Timothy beach Resort and he will just ahve to live with no gym for a week ;-)

Hmm so where to go I shall have to spend a few more hours researching I think but I kind of know I want to go to Grenada really. I shall just have to persuade someone else and then make them think that it was his decision all along!

On local places to eat what kind of prices are we looking at, I am not so concerned about being cheap but more to guage an idea. I ahve self catered in barbados before and ate from small shcks, back of lady's van at beach to nice end restaurants. I suspect prices will be similar to there but any info helps!

P

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

Hi Pets -

My memory is that Barbados is generally more expensive...

We stayed at Flamboyant (has an exercise room with breathtaking views - really funny how great the views are from the eliptical, treadmill etc...) and we used our kitchen for one dinner, all breakfast and most lunches (we stayed two weeks).

The food sort of ranged from Grillmaster at Spiceland mall foodcourt $8 US pp - La Belle Creole $40US pp.

We ate a lot at La Boulangerie and paid about $40us for myself, husband and five year old son eating food one pop and a glass of wine.

The Owl pub has cheery food and again for same arrangement of people eating and drinking around same cost....as we often split a pizza, they can be big and I like to eat so really reasonable to share....

Savvy's at MC was less than Belle Creole but in the same range and the food was good - dessert great!!

So I found in both St.Kitts and Grenada you could be as creative as you want for cost of food - St.Kitts is very similar in terms of restaurants ie: Mr.X's, Ziggy's or Shipwreck vs. Stonewalls, Gingers etc...

Oh - don't forget Ricks Cafe in Grenada for yummy burger and ice cream!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

We stayed at Mount Cinnamon Jan. 24-31. It was fabulous, beyond expectation. I cannot honestly imagine anyone not being happy there. The resort and the villa, the beach, everything was great, but it was the wonderful staff that really set it apart. When we were leaving for the airport I made a comment that their banana bread was delicious and we loved the Grenadian chocolate and starfruit. Within 5 minutes someone comes out of the kitchen with a take out container of sliced banana bread, a huge chocolate bar and tons of cut up starfruit that we took to the airport!

Toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

We have visited both St. Kitts and Grenada in recent years. While in St. Kitts, we stayed at the Marriott and hated the place. While the rooms were spacious, comfortable and nicely decorated, the hotel was totally out of scale for the island and had absolutely no Caribean feel. The staff all seemed unhappy. When we visited, there was a large business group, which made you feel like your were stuck in a business hotel in some North American city. To top it all, the beach was mediocre at best.

In comparing the two islands, St. Kitts was okay but Grenada was spectacular: great beaches, lush mountains, a very pretty capital city and amazing people. It is our favourite Caribean destination. We haven't stayed at Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon, but both sound like good bets.

London, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

wow LTO thats so lovely!

London, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coyaba or Mount Cinnamon

Both places, as mentioned have their attributes. Mount Cinnamon has a gorgeous beach cabana with a live DJ there every Sunday afternoon and I just got an email from a friend who is in Grenada saying that they will start doing nights at the cabana starting with a chilled evening with a live DJ on Saturday 27th and then every Sat thereafter, so its great if you dont want to venture too far from the complex.

It all depends on your requirements. But both are so close to everything.

Get answers to your questions about St. George's