We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

We will be in Grendada for a week in early April. The island looks amazing with so many things to do and see! I love the beach, but would love to see as much of the island as I can in 7 days. What does everyone suggest?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

Here are my personal picks...

Beaches

- Grand Anse of course (walk it from one end to the other, grab a drink to cool down midway)

- Morne Rouge (aka BBC), a quieter beach with white sand and clear calm waters

- La Sagesse, great beach to spend the day with a restaurant that serves good food... the beach has a south pacific feel to it

- Bathway (I have not been here but everyone loves it) up north

Spots

- Fort George for some history as well as scenic shots

- St. George's market to see all the spices and tropical fruits and vegetables grown on the island that are for sale

- Rivers Antoine to see some potent rum made the old-fashioned way...watch out for the tasting afterwards, it delivers a real kick

- Belmont Plantation to learn about cocoa processing

- one of the nutmeg processing stations (like in Gouyave) to see how nutmegs are processed

- tour of Grand Etang to learn about the various spice trees that grow in Grenada

- hike to a waterfall if you are into that sort of thing (I have not done this, but then again, I'm not much of a hiker)

If you are going to hike, Telfor Bedeau is the hiking man of Grenada and gets rave reviews. He has hiked thousands of miles on the island.

Restaurants

- Boots Cuisine, my personal favorite for a unique dining experience

- Lunch from one of the ladies at the SGU campus on Grand Anse for a very local experience

- Lunch at the Aquarium restaurant, beautiful setting right on the beach

Things to bring back

- fresh spices

- Grenada chocolate bars if you like dark chocolate

- Dela Grenade nutmeg syrup .. great for pancakes, waffles, on top of ice cream

I'm sure others will pipe in here with their recommendations :-)

Enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Morne Rouge
Morne Rouge
114 Reviews
Grenada
Fort George
Fort George
647 Reviews
Grenada
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
The Aquarium Restaurant
The Aquarium Restaurant
954 Reviews
Grenada
London
Level Contributor
51 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

I would go out on a half day whale watching trip, straight off Grande Anse beach. We were lucky enough to see a leatherback turtle laying its eggs last year so if you are there at the right time go on a turtle watch. Have a day out with Mandoo he will not only show you the island he will tell you all about it. Pigsterz is right you have to walk Grande Anse beach, not only is the beach beautiful there are some lovely spots just to float and relax. The Rivers distillery is worth a visit but best of all just find a bar by the beach you like and chill in the evening with an ice cold drink.

We are going back in May and this time staying room only so will be trying all the marvellous places to eat.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

GREAT ideas! We will be staying at the Grenada Grand, so we will be right on Grand Anse! We hope to try many of the great restaurants that i have been hearing about. I have booked a day trip to the Grendadines with Sunsation......pretty pricey, but it looks wonderful! How should we get to La Sagesse? We do not plan to rent a car. Probably just use the bus....would you recommend that? Definitely going to Grand Etang.....have you seen the monkeys there?

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Sunsation Tours
Sunsation Tours
280 Reviews
Grenada
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
857 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

The Grenadines trip will be worth every $$. And you will enjoy Grenada- a beautiful island, with warm and friendly people. You will be on one of the best beaches in the Caribbean w/ great views of St. Georges. You've got some great feedback on what to see. You will find that 7 days won't be enough, but the experience will leave you wanting more. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Wellfleet...
Level Contributor
146 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

La Sagesse has a special deal which includes transportation to and from your hotel in St. George, lunch, a spice walk, and time on the beach.

The busis definately an option. La Sagesse Inn &REstaurant, and the beach is about half-mile walk from the bus stop.

Mentioned in this post
London
Level Contributor
51 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

Yes, on our day out with Mandoo we stopped on the edge of the rainforest. He had purchased some bananas from the roadside and armed with these he called the monkeys and they came down and fed from our hands. Another really good reason to have a day out with Mandoo.

London
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

Just one more thing to add to the great lists already posted - Fish Friday - it takes place every Friday evening in the Fishing Village of Gouyave from 6pm-2am - two streets are covered with tents and the local vendors cook and serve the freshest fish, lobsters, prawns, etc., while you wait. There is a great atmosphere with music and you may be lucky to catch a cultural performance or two on the night - a great evening out.

Alaska
Level Contributor
372 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

Many have been mentioned already, but here are my favorites!

SIGHTSEEING & FAVORITES:

1. Island Tour with Mandoo

2. Day at La Sagesse Beach, and lunch at their restaurant (we usually spend two days here over a week long trip)

3. Fish Friday

4. Trip into St. George’s by bus

5. Walk up to Fort

6. Visit the Spice Market to buy those spices for souvenirs

7. Spend day at Grand Anse – walk the beach and look for sea glass

8. Scarmouche Sailing of the Grenadines

9. Float in the warm water!

10. Turtle watching tour

11. Buying the dark chocolate bars from the Grenada Chocolate Factory. Great gifts and items to take home. I can savor one chocolate bar for a year (when I can buy more).

RESTAURANTS:

1. BB’s Crabback

2. La Sagesse Nature Center

3. Water’s Edge @ Bel Air when they have live music

4. Nutmeg

5. Beach House

6. La Luna

7. Aquarium

8. Drinks at True Blue

9. Pizza or breakfast at La Boulangerie

10. Red Crab

Edited: 25 March 2010, 15:32
Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
La Sagesse Nature Center
La Sagesse Nature Center
74 Reviews
Grenada
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

I absolutely agree with the list of brilliant ideas for the wonders of Grenada...but I have to put a special pitch in for La Sagesse...as you are ON Grand Anse beach and close to Morne Rouge (also very important to see in the area!) I would suggest strongly when leaving the Grand Anse area...go to La Sagesse - we did rent a vehicle and drove there....but it is different from the Grand Anse area and yet so unique and special...we loved the quiet of the beach...the gentle waves and shade - but we had a fantastic meal at the restaurant - one of our best on the island!

Mentioned in this post
Grenada
Grenada
Caribbean
Grand Anse Beach
Grand Anse Beach
1,071 Reviews
Grenada
Morne Rouge
Morne Rouge
114 Reviews
Grenada
Tennessee
Level Contributor
44 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite things to do and see while in Grenada?

One of our favorite days was hanging out at Magazine Beach on Sunday afternoon. The Aquariam Restaurant has a wonderful barbecue (you order from a menu and they cook it fresh on the grill). Prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is very relaxing. A reggae band plays for a couple of hours in the late afternoon. Since you'll be there in April, hopefully they'll have lobster!

Get answers to your questions about St. George's
Recent Conversations