We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calabash or Coyoba

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Calabash or Coyoba

Have stayed at the Rex.. this year, enjoyed the location, beach, people etc.

What is the Calabash or Coyoba sp.... sorry like????

Don't care about the pool, thinking of food (esp breakfast and lunch), beach, locationetc. We had AI at the Rex but went out for many dinners as it was the same every night and not much island fare.

Spice Island sounds lovely but way out of our price range

Thanks in advance

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calabash or Coyoba

Hi

Coyabas location is stunning--right on Grand Anse beach. Just stroll through the beautiful gardens out onto the beach. You can take your loungers out onto the beach or leave them in the gardens and just pop out onto the beach for a swim. The food, was pretty good,but my view is a bit out of date on that,so its best if you read current reviews.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back there, and as Spice Island is double the price,i believe the Coyaba to be good value.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calabash or Coyoba

Funny this but from our strolling view of Coyaba and SI - Coyaba seemed (am I wrong?) to have better lounge chairs - now I know that SI is virtually heaven on earth so they likely make up for it in every other way - but funny little thing I noticed - so you may feel better about not being able to go SI (like ourselves!) when sitting in the cushy loungers!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calabash or Coyoba

Coyaba does have the nicer loungers... they are the wooden teak ones right? I've wondered why Spice Island doesn't have the nice wooden loungers that should be standard at the hotel level they are at. Instead they have the regular vinyl slatted ones.

The Calabash is in a quiet neighborhood. It has more of a boutique hotel feel to it. The beach, while beautiful, is not stunning like Grand Anse. It has more of a laid back feel, and I've only heard fantastic things about their staff.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calabash or Coyoba

HI Pigsterz - it is funny though isn't it? I mean it is clear that SI is heavenly - it looks divine from the beach....and I gather from your statements and others - it IS divine! But those strange sun loungers.....even Flamboyant has better sun loungers....and as much as I love Flamboyant - it is NOT the level of Spice Island....hmmmm....oh well.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calabash or Coyoba

Maybe you can 'borrow' one of Coyabas and wheel it along the beach to Spice Island : )

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calabash or Coyoba

LOL! Can I borrow a beach towel too? SI's beach towels are also not up to snuff. LAE Cottages have better beach towels than those. I know it is nit picky and it certainly didn't detract me from enjoying the gorgeous beach and the finu sand, but I can see how someone might complain about that given the price level being charged. Just saying...

Their bed though...oh my...heaven! I know it's only for sleeping but as it is I have difficulty sleeping in unfamilliar places so I usually have problems when I am on vacation. But at SI I zonk out as soon as my head hits the pillow.

Edited: 19 May 2010, 20:29
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calabash or Coyoba

Pardon my spelling mistakes! Hard typing on my ittt bittt keyboard on my phone.

8. Re: Calabash or Coyoba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about St. George's