We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Grenada safe?

Chicago
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Is Grenada safe?

We are trying to book a family vacation to the Caribbean - apparently Tobago is unsuitable due to level of crime - does Grenada have the same problems?

If not, would anyone recommend it - we have heard very mixed reviews about lack of cleanliness and poor service. We were hoping to stay in a private villa not a resort but need a bit of background info before booking anywhere.

leicester, england
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Grenada safe?

To answer the first part of your post Grenada does not suffer much crime, I don't feel the need to even lock my door when I go out. The people are very friendly and helpful.

I have never found standards of cleanliness to be a problem and as regards standards of service these are normally good but do remember this is the Caribbean where the pace of life is much slower,

There are some very good private villas available for rent and as part of the agreement the villas will be cleaned etc. most days and will often include a laundry service and sometimes although at extra cost the maid will prepare meals for you if you obtain the groceries.

To check out villas available I would suggest you check the following web site,

www.spiceislevillas.com The proprietor Nick Hughes is very helpful and will do whatever he can to assist you. If you decide to contact him please say hi to him from me Denis.

If you want to ask more questions please feel free and if you want to correspond direct leave an email address at which I can contact you.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
246 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Grenada safe?

The people of Grenada like Americans. While walking along Grand Anse beach and going to the markets you will be approached by a number of Grenadians. They want to help you with directions or sell you something, i.e. baskets made from palms, necklaces from shells, bowls made from coconuts. They are harmless and just trying to make a buck. Use the same caution you would anywhere in the U.S. They are friendly people; just keep your guard up for the few bad apples!

england
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Grenada safe?

grenada very friendly island, have stayed twice in last 2 years and returning in 3 weeks time. would recommend spice isle villas, nick hughes the owner very helpful. have stayed in villas each time, no problems shopping and touring island on our own. since ivan there is still some damage to be seen but it has not deterred us and we cant wait to return.

have been to most caribbean islands and this is our favourite.

all restaurants good and very friendly with efficient service be it at a laid back pace - hey thats the caribbean. have a carib, sit back and enjoy!

if you want further details please e mail

Ottawa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Grenada safe?

To follow up PenelopeBB's questions... Is it safe to walk along the beaches at nite.

I had noticed some comments about hotels like (Rex) indicating not to walk to neighbouring restaurants at nite?

leicester, england
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Grenada safe?

You probably wouldn't walk along a beach after dark anywhere in the world as a normal precaution, that doesn't mean it isn't safe.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Grenada safe?

I find it sad that anyone thinks it's not safe anywhere to walk along the beach at night. I feel very comfortable doing so in Bequia,Union Island, Carriocou, Mayreau, St Lucia, Grand Turk and even most beaches on the easterm US coast (excepting Miami). That being said, I was very frightened by some strongly harrasing locals a couple of yrs back on Grenada. One morning my taxi driver scolded me for walking alone in town after dark (8pm)!!

If you are in a group on Grenada I would think you are fine as long as you don't mean wee hours. Overall I loved Grenada although there were people hanging around a couple of beaches who made it uncomfortable constantly approaching tourists and becoming annoyed when you "didn't want" what they were selling.

Lack of cleanliness? Some places but not overall. Service??? varied throughout the Island.

The scenery was magnificent, particularly at the far end of the island "away from it all"!

Germany
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Grenada safe?

And you can also feel safe on Grenadas beaches. We never had a problem at the beaches and also not at the evening or at night........

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Grenada safe?

It is absolutely safe. Act as you would when traveling to new places within your own country and you should have nothing to worry about.

I just returned from a trip with my husband yesterday and we had a phenomenal time! By far, our greatest trip to date. The people on the island are amongst the friendliest I've encountered in the Caribbean and are willing to help out anytime. Ask for directions, they will do whatever they can do get you there.

The island is also one of the most economically stable that I have seen in the Carribbean. We traveled the whole island literally (20 miles long, 7 wide) and I was amazed at how stable it is. Cleanliness was not a problem and service was not either. Slow, but it is the Carribbean...if you move too fast its not vacation!

I will recommend the place we stayed as I cannot say enough about it. I will post a review within the next week. The staff and owner were simply amazing and did whatever they could to help make our stay enjoyable. We stayed in a villa....it may be good for a family to stay in the 2 bedroom villas as they are very spacious, clean, new, and the most unbelievable view ever! Go to:

www.macabana.com to check out the place. Its outstanding!

Please enjoy Grenada....its an outstanding place so untouched by western society!

Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Grenada safe?

i;m trying to get a feel for this place before i book a trip. you said you've been to caribbean. what other places have you been to and what does grenada compare to?

London England
Level Contributor
3 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Grenada safe?

Just got back yesterday and endorse previous emails in favour of Grenada - never felt threatened even though out on the main town most males of all ages insist on walking around with machettes! (for the coconuts and whatever I guess). It was slightly disconcerting at first and source of great envy for my 14 year old son! Grenada is a great relaxing place, and although I'm sure the Macabana is lovely our stay at Coral Cove Cottages was also great (read my review posted today on Tripadvisor) and by the looks of it a lot cheaper :-)

Get answers to your questions about St. George's