We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

Which St. George's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto ON
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

Does anyone know approximately how much a taxi to Grand Etang would cost from Grenadian by Rex Resort? I know the park is accessible by bus, but I believe we'd have to take 2 buses, which might make a cab more convenient. Thanks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

Are you planning to hike Grand Etang? If not, I suggest going with a tour operator.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

We are planning on hiking Mt. Qua Qua but the prices we have found seem high ($50-60 per person). And many people suggest a guide is unnecessary. We figured that taking a taxi, then maybe (or maybe not) getting a guide might be a better option.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

Problem is that the rex is a bit out on a limb and anyone walking from there is likely to be ripped off by local busses etc.

Best is rent a car and do your own thing. Getting lost is pretty unlikely, and part of the experience? That way you can also hike the nirthern peaks too, possibly visit fedons camp.

Or get into st georges by the easiest method then get the bus to grenville over the mountain and theyll drop you.

Problem may be getting back, if its lateish ie im guessing after 6 there may be few/no busses.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

Thanks everyone. So is a taxi not a viable option at all?

St. George's...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

Try Philip. He's always been good to us and his prices can't be beat. If nothing else he can give you a ride into town so you can take a bus from there, but I would be surprised if he wouldn't take you the whole way and pick you up.

Phone: 1+(473) 416-2546/ 458-3451

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

taxi is viable, the only thing about it would be getting back. If you plan to meet at a certain time after your hike then yes it can be done. I suggested the tour operator as option for sightseeing, however there are some excellent guides available to take you hiking

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

I don't know where the comment of being "ripped off" by local buses comes from, we have always paid 5 EC for going off route which we do quite often.

Although I did hear a guy complain about being "ripped off" by the bus in St. Lucia because they charged him 5 EC to go from Rodney Bay to the marina at 1:00 in the morning on New Years Eve, so maybe it's all in the perception.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

I say ripped off because tourists are often ripped off in Gda by taxis and busses. Effectively there is a local and a tourist rate :-) especially for arrivals at the airport where i have seen 10 ec each for 4 people for a trip to the rex which is about walking distance.

Funniest thing was to see an older local lady who cuffed the wingman when he tried to charge 2 tourists over the odds in St Patricks a few tears back.

I do agree that ripped off reference might be dropped if the people involved said openly "the tourist rate is..." Yeah i can see that happening...

Edited: 04 January 2014, 10:14
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

Like many countries that rely heavily on tourism revenues, the posted rates / prices are for tourists and the locals get a discount. $10EC ($4US) pp is high for the Rex - we paid $10US for 4 people to go from the Rex to the airport. I tried talking the drivers down to $8US but they wouldn't budge.

10. Re: Taxi to Grand Etang from Rex

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about St. George's