We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We don't speak French, will we have a hard time on vacation?

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
443 posts
1 review
Save Topic
We don't speak French, will we have a hard time on vacation?

We don't speak French at all! Will it be really hard for us to communicate on Guadeloupe on vacation? Or will we be able to get by ok? We speak English and a little Spanish. Thanks.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We don't speak French, will we have a hard time on vacation?

We speak very little French too, and found it quite hard going when trying to converse with the locals. Having a small amount of school french from 40 yrs ago and a phase book did help, and the locals were mostly very patient and kind.

Trumansburg, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We don't speak French, will we have a hard time on vacation?

Guadeloupe does not get many anglophone tourists, and in my experience, in Pointe-Noire now, most of the residents do not speak English. A little schoolbook French will help; they're happy to talk to you, they just don't know the words.

My french is OK (three years in high school and one year in college) and people are amazed first that I'm an American, and second that I speak any French at all.

Seeheim-Jugenheim...
Level Contributor
11 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We don't speak French, will we have a hard time on vacation?

Hi chaloop,

without any French it will be quite hard to communicate with locals. Even at the airport most of the staff don't speak English.

A great plus is that most locals are super friendly and will try to somehow make themselves understood. So as Dan already recommended, take a phrase book along or have a app installed.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
28 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We don't speak French, will we have a hard time on vacation?

I bought French 101 CDs and listened in the car for a few weeks before my trip--I think it really helped for simple phrases and exchanges. I was in St. Anne and most locals spoke a surprising amount of English--they would say they spoke none but then would end up being pretty good at it. We got by just fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We don't speak French, will we have a hard time on vacation?

If you go to somewhere like St Anne then you will meet some english speakers but overall english is rare. This doesn't mean you will have a hard time. Learn the basics and you will be fine. People are patient. If you go to a museum or do a guided visit to somewhere, you will find that some people do speak English.

6. Re: We don't speak French, will we have a hard time on vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Guadeloupe