We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

Many years ago we volunteered at this hospital located on Delmas 31(?). We drove down Delmas from near Petionville to Delmas 31 and got on another taptap. After several minutes we got off and walked to the left on a narrow street for a few minutes arriving at the hospital. We are returning to Port au Prince on April 1 and would like to go back to this hospital. The problem is we are unclear as to where to get off on Delmas 31. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help us with directions. Our understand is that the hospital is still in operation and the sisters are welcoming volunteers.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

The Sisters of Charity don't run a hospital in Port au Prince, but a home for children and a clinic for ill children from the community. I believe that is what you are referring to. They do use volunteers, but they have specific guidelines (as you may be aware of) regarding times and hours people may be in the compound, as well as appropriate dress, a no-photo rule, and a request not to give gifts or food of any sort to the children. The facility was damaged in the earthquake, but much has been repaired. The compound is on Rue de Lanage.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

I should add to the above - the clinic gets plenty of volunteers, the Sisters and several local women can handle the work w/o the volunteers. The Sisters do not run a volunteer program, but a program for the poor in Haiti. They do not have a means to contact them directly, they don't have email, a website, etc.

For folks interested in volunteering in Haiti - there are many, many such options. In my opinion, far too many. There are now for-profit (and non-profit) orgs organizing such tours, which I liken to poverty tours. Yes, it is possible to play with 'orphans' (there are very few true orphans in Haiti, but are instead children abandoned/given up due to extreme poverty), paint schools, make art, teach sports, and otherwise have a 'life-changing' experience. There are very few organizations really working to end the causes of abandonment.

More and more research has shown that the children who grow up in these institutions, who experience week after week of stranger-visits, do not easily transition into adulthood (poor attachment issues) and do not have the firm cultural ties that are required to fit well. In Haiti (as well as other places, I am sure), many childrens home/orphanages have been found to be money-making scams, or at the least the founders of the homes are living a far better life than some may believe. Additionally, there are few (though the number is increasing!) organizations that do background checks on visitors to ensure the safety of these vulnerable wards. All of these reasons, and others, have led me to be very cautious when discussing such 'opportunities'.

There is a lot of information on the internet, but I am very uncomfortable advocating for this kind of vacation.

Mentioned in this post
Haiti
Haiti
Caribbean
Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

Thank you for the information. Being an active volunteer, I agree with most of what you said about irresponsible volunteerism. People mean well but don't get the big picture. Throwing candy at children only makes the situation worse. Having worked with children my entire adult life, there is a role we can play in volunteering and helping young people. It just has to be wise assistance. Your comment about abandonment issues with orphans is also largely a result of them knowing that they were in fact actually abandoned. We will volunteer at the clinic and see how much has changed since our previous visits. On those occasions the sisters welcomed our help and donations.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

Have a productive and interesting trip - thanks for letting me rant a bit.

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

Hey, you're preaching to the choir, my friend.

Keep up the good work.

alameda
Level Contributor
79 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

Can you give us an update of your visit?

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

The Sisters of Charity clinic/ home has been rebuilt since the earthquake. It is larger, houses more children and is much busier than before. It now has a nice open area where the children have toys to enjoy. Several mothers came to see their children, but there were always many other children who wanted to be picked up and played with. It is a very actve place and the sisters appreciated our presence and gifts. If you love children and enjoy making their day brighter, it is a wonderful place to volunteer.

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

The Sisters of Charity clinic/ home has been rebuilt since the earthquake. It is larger, houses more children and is much busier than before. It now has a nice open area where the children have toys to enjoy. Several mothers came to see their children, but there were always many other children who wanted to be picked up and played with. It is a very actve place and the sisters appreciated our presence and gifts. If you love children and enjoy making their day brighter, it is a wonderful place to volunteer.

9. Re: Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:05
10. Re: Sisters of Charity hospital/orphanage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:05
Get answers to your questions about Port-au-Prince