We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
993 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

I might just be late, but it looks like they are now nickel and diming. 1st piece of checked luggage is free and the 2nd piece is $10. 3rd piece is $100 and this is policy for each passenger. Effective anyone flying after 2/10/07. Doesn't matter when you purchased your ticket. Well I guess I won't be flying them anymore. Can't see how this will improve their profit especially since for cruise passengers won't give them a second look. Oh well just fyi in case some did not know of this change.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

Where did you see this? Is there a link?

Thanks.

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

it is in today's USA today.

usatoday.com/travel/flights/2007-02-06-spiri…

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

Not too late - thanks for the heads up, since I had no notice of the change!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

I actually don't think it's too ridiculous.

You get a carry on and a large checked bag for free. You really don't need more than that for Jamaica unless you are staying for a LONG period of time.

More luggage means more weight which means more fuel which means more $$$. Might as well charge the folks that are causing the added weight rather than spread it evenly among all the passengers.

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

Glad I don't fly Spirit because I would have a huge problem with this. First, my husband and son take their golf clubs every place they go - so they would need a second bag to take their clothes and Second, you can't take liquids on the plane anymore, so I need a second bag for my liquids. I used to carry my shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. in my carry on so that they didn't leak on my clothes, but now they have to be checked, which requires a second bag for liquids. Have done the baggie or separate compartment in suitcase thing and still something always leaks, so now it is one bag for clothes and one bag for liquids.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

They also do sales where a net roundtrip ticket to Montego Bay is $16.

Just goes to show you...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

"You really don't need more than that for Jamaica unless you are staying for a LONG period of time."

Or if you are bringing things down for family and friends.... We are flying Spirit in March - 2 out of 4 suitcases will be filled with gifts - I would rather pay the $10 than the cost of shipping items down (and risking that they don't arrive), but it still is frustrating.

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

With regards to how much luggage someone brings, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion as to what's acceptable. But I don't think two checked bags is out of the ordinary, espeically is you want to bring some souvineers back. I see nothing wrong with travelers who prefer not to bunch thier clothes up for a week long trip. However, all the more reason for me to find another airline to fly with. If I can find a deal $16 RT I have no problem paying for the 2nd bag, but if i paid somewhat the normal price, then this could be very irritating. However, evenutally time will tell as the bottom line will dictate if they made a poor decision.

With the TSA rules changing for liquids, everyone doesn't put things in 3 oz tubes to carryied-on, so it just makes it all the more easier to know who I'll be flying with on my next trip. Anyhow, I think it would have been fair to exclude anyone who had purchased a ticket prior to this change. If you know about it now and still want to book with them, then more power to you but if you booked your ticket months back and now find this out it can be a annoying. JMO

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

Just keep in mind that with airlines, it's usually monkey see, monkey do. I can almost guarantee the others will follow.

Level Contributor
641 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Spirit Air is now charging for checked Baggage!!!!!

last month flew to Miami on AA. They charged me for one bag over weight by 5lbs. Another passenger emptied half his bag. The reason was that the airline baggage handlers can only lift so much (union agreement). However, they will if we pay.