We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a Rasta

Level Contributor
1,454 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a Rasta

No disrespect, just wanted to inform movie buffs..........dan .About 80,000 women flock to Jamaica every year, many for more than its sunny beaches. This provocative documentary examines the island's tourism, as women from around the world come to get their groove back. The film also delves into the Rastafarian faith, distinguishing island playboys from the real-life Rastas. J. Michael Seyfert's film about cultural misunderstandings and socioeconomic inequities amplifies voices not often heard.

Releases on DVD Feb 13, 2007

Livingston Texas
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Rent a Rasta

I found this last night on YouTube

RENT a RASTA

00:54

Every year over 80,000 middle-aged women flock to Jamaica in search of the "big bamboo." They are not necessarily into long-term relationships, but many return regularly to their island boy who sport Rastafarian-style dreadlocks, bringing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E23Iu_CLuOM

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Rent a Rasta

Paplover,

Thanks, the introduction is very provoking, but I have yet to see the whole thing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Rent a Rasta

You know, I want to see this only to see if the movie does indeed distinguish between true Rastarfarians and the 'island playboys' so to speak.

And I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, or if I should start another, but I have heard that there is a Rastafarian Learning Center in Redground..does anyone know anything about this?

I just know that in my websurfing I found a mention of it and now can't find it anymore and it would be a place I would be interested in going to if possible.

And I did get very little flirtation on my first trip, but that might have been because I had brought my daughters with me, and even they were treated with respect, as was I. I do have to make sure when I go back to say hi to Tango and Bobo tho..they were real 'friends' that I spoke with and would like to say hi to again. Real people that treated me very nicely. :-)

Livingston Texas
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Rent a Rasta

For those of you that rent their movies from *Netflix* they have it.

I just ordered my tonight. I moved it to the top of my list. Should get in a few days after I return the 3 movies that I have now. So I should get it in this week.

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Rent a Rasta

Interview With J. Michael Seyfert, Writer/Director Of The Film "Rent A Rasta"

By Xavier Murphy

Sunday, October 1, 2006

jamaicans.com/articles/…rentarastadoc.shtml

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,683 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Rent a Rasta

I have no desire to see this movie, the subject matter bores me.

If you want to see Rent-A-Dreads in action, take a walk down the 7 mile beach in Negril one night.

Nuff said.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Rent a Rasta

Well I just checked out that You Tube clip and honestly, it makes me interested in the whole ordeal. If anything its just something to educate my mind on the whole topic, cause you definitley see this "situation" when you visit the beaches in Negril. One thing that I dont hear much talk about is the women of Jamaica in this same type of situation. During my first trip there I actually saw WAY MORE women doing the "rental" thing.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Rent a Rasta

Mocha-Marlita,

The issue here is not male or female v's visa versa, but who is described as actually doing it.

If you argue that:

"During my first trip there I actually saw WAY MORE women doing the "rental" thing."

Then I would argue that it's mostly women who really ask for this service and that's why it's there in the first place, because they are prepared to do and give anything to get these guys.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Rent a Rasta

I think I will view this movie as it is an ongoing thing in Jamaica. I think it is shocking to most American, Canadian, European, Asian etc... guys because yes prostitution is everywhere but generally we see men picking up women hookers. For first time male visitors it is a bit unusual to see women paying for men. Generally its an overweight unattractive women with a very physically fit young man. I never judge but its hard not to make assumptions when you've seen it so much. Worse yet some of these women don't view it at as a prostitution arrangement because they feel they're giving gifts not soliciting favors. Its not better either way around but in most societies it is socially accepted that most women can pick up men without paying while it isn't outrageous to think that a man would have to pay for some female companion pleasure. This movie's title definitely gives a bad image of the Rastafarians but then again these shocka dreads don't help in it either. Most visitors don't know the difference between a hustler guy with dreads and a true Rasta man. Its a shame but none the less true.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: Rent a Rasta

rastagirl777.

"I have no desire to see this movie, the subject matter bores me."

I couldn't agree more. It's a complete waste of time.