We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

Roseville, Ca
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

I keep hearing SO many mixed reveiews on Sandals and othe All-Inclusive Resorts. My Fiance and I are trying to have our wedding and honeymoon at the resort and we are so torn on what to pick. We have about a $7000.00 budget for the resort and plan to stay about 10 days. Any suggestions would be WONDERFUL!!!

Thanks!!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

Stephieleigh, while I am sure all of the resorts recommended are wonderful in their own way, Sandals resorts are as well. We honeymooned at Sandals Negril and it was wonderful. It has a smaller romantic feel, and is couples and adults only (which was important to us, something you may want to consider). It also close to many off resort excursions. It was very relaxing, but there was also a bunch of activities if you want to join in. Whitehouse is amazing. It's a newer resort, large but beautiful. The beach is very, very large, and the pools are unbelievable (especially the main pool). The night life while we were there was hopping every night and we had a blast! It is a bit of a drive for excursions, and it is the only resort in the area.But we loved it anyways and plan on returning some day. There is also Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay, and if you stay there you can also use Sandals Montego Bay. (I personally wouldn't stay at SMB because it's too close to the airport for our liking, but we did enjoy having diner there one evening)

Sandals is not particularly popular on this board, and is never (with the occasional exception of Sandals Dunns River and the The Royal Plantation) suggested by many of the people. Like I said before, I am sure that the resorts they suggest are wonderful, but we think Sandals resorts are wonderful as well. So please don't automatically count them out, as you could be shorting yourself an amazing trip.

Ontario
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

The Sandals weddingmoon package cannot be beat - they really go all out for a wedding, much more so than the one we had a Couples (although it was a nice resort).

Long Island
Level Contributor
937 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

We are another BIG fan of Sandals. So much it is our 8th trip to Sandals in 9 years.

Sandals Montego Bay is our favorite to be at. You can visit all the other Sandals to check them out and have some variety.

Sandals takes All Inclusive up a notch. Unlimitted food at every meal. Tremendous variety of food.

Beautiful private beaches, lots of sports all included.

Games and fun activities.

Or you can just lay around and relax.

And.... there are always enough beach lounge chairs!

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

"The Sandals weddingmoon package cannot be beat - they really go all out for a wedding, much more so than the one we had a Couples (although it was a nice resort)."

Marleygirl, why do you think the Sandals weddingmoon package can't be beat? and what do you mean by they really go all out for a wedding, with saying "much more" then the one we had a Couples?

Wouldn't this have more to do with what one couple may pick for extra options then a true comparison of the basic wedding packages between the resorts?

UK
Level Contributor
463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

We just came home from three weeks in Ja, we stayed at SRC, SGOR and SW..out of the three SRC was our favourite.

There were a lot of young couples there, some newly weds had guests staying at rose hall with day passes for SRC for the wedding. SRC is nice intimate resort, but you can utilise MB as well.

Night life at SRC does however seem to wind down pretty early so that might be a prob for you, there were some nights we felt we could have done with some party party... BUT the pros outweighed the cons and you always have smb if you want it and it IS literally minutes on the bus.

We found SMB a bit shabby...kind of not as pretty or clean.

SW.. its a bit plastic! Dont know where they get the idea of a med village but looked more like a Glasgow shopping mall to us BUT agree, the beach there is lovely and I am sure SW is some folks idea of paradise. There are a LOT of birds there which I couldnt handlee. Beach spectacular BUT SRC private island much much nicer!

JMHO!

Weddings at SRC were gorgeous. Very private and discreet.

JMHO!

Ontario
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

Flowers,

Actually no, it had nothing to do with extras. Our wedding felt rushed, and for lack of a better term, cheap (although the resort was beautiful). Then we attended a wedding at SGOR for a friend and could not believe the difference! Staff who were on their day off attended, unlimited champaigned, cake, a much more elaborate dance (which we did not even have), affair; it was just sooooo much better overall. We felt we were bothering our wedding coordinator, whereas at our friend's wedding, they couldn't do enough.

Much nicer decorations as well. All around, just a more professional, elaborate event for the same price.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

Well if you think the wedding at SGOR was that great, you'd be absolutely blown away with the weddings at one of the incredible Grand Lidos.

-

No problem Steph, I'm glad to try and help. By the way if you shop around you can get your 10 days at a Grand Lido for almost HALF of the $7000 you have budgeted !

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

Looking for Sun
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

hello there,

Is your flight included in your budget? We too live in Ca. and people don't understand how much harder it is and more expensive to get to Jamaica from the west coast.

I strongly encourage you to look at Jamaica Inn. My husband dives and he still loves to stay here. Very quiet and romantic. We did not want crowds on our honeymoon or anniversary trips. We wanted privacy. So we went to Grand Cayman and then on to Little Cayman and stayed at a place called the Southern Cross Club. We have been back 3 times since.

We really enjoy the Jamaica Inn. I enjoy the service and the beach.(private) no chair saving needed.

Jamaica inn has a wedding package, and the food is excellent.

I was just curious about your flight plans, and if they are in your budget. So far the best and shortest flight we have found is through Delta with stops in Atlanta. Last time we flew United stop in Charolette to Jamaica, and before that tried Jamaica Air.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

Marleygirl, thanks for your response.

I do though believe... there are a LOT of factors that go into, how each individuals wedding plays off, whether it be a wedding at Sandals or Couples. I think to generalize after attending one wedding at one Sandals, is pretty much unfair and misleading to say that "Sandals Weddingmoon" package cannot be beat - they really go all out for a wedding, much more so than the one we had a Couples".

This could mislead a couples, that may be thinking of a Sandals Weddingmoon, as there are many reviews of Sandals Weddingmoons, that... the Brides have expressed disappointment and similar feelings of what you experienced at Couples.

Being rushed, couples standing on the side lines waiting impatiently their turn, wedding coordinators that everything's a bother other then their hard sell to upgrade their package, or making brides feel badly and cheap if they don't upgrade, flower, food packages,photos, etc., etc.

I don't say this to discourage anyone, but to put into perceptive that HOW any Weddingmoon or wedding at any all-inclusive may turn out has MUCH to do with the effort the customer has put into the details and research for their wedding before hand and sometimes has a lot to do with down right luck.

The staff and or management at any of the given resorts at any given time can or will make a huge difference. It is wonderful your friend or relatives wedding turned out great, and I am sure many do, but again to generalize here is misleading.

With... off duty staff showing up, is certainly not a standard practice at the Sandals, but more likely had to do with the couple striking up some type of relationship with the employees before hand.

With Sandals, how elaborately decorated any event is, is also soooo dependent on which resort, the venue location the bride and groom have researched or chosen. Sometimes a couple may luck out, sometimes NOT with the decorations, that a previous guest has upgraded to before hand. I can say I have read reports, and seen many pictures of couples that have been left with much disappointed as far as their decorations were concerned, whether it be an old metal or stick arch with a few dangling (low budget) artificial flowers for decorations, or the couple that thought they lucked out by being able to take advantage of a previous couples (upgraded $$'s) fully decorated arch of beautiful tropical fresh flowers, that by later afternoon after a day in the sun, were wilted and dead, by the time their wedding took place and pictures taken.

I can't tell you how many folks have left reviews for Sandals Weddingmoons, that were dumfounded when they find out the "free" TWO tier wedding cake is a Cardboard decorated base, with just the small top tier being, real cake. If they have more then two guests, they NEED to upgrade this cake if it is intended that guests are to share. Same for the hors d'oeuvres that come with the "free" weddingmoon package, they also are intended for only the bride and groom, and two guests, which most reviews I have read indicate it is a few pieces of fruit and cheese and cracker plate, unless again the couple upgrades for $$'s, for extras, or other options. First dance is more then likely orchestrated by what the couple may choose to do for this, I do believe NOT ALL Sandals weddingmoon couples have a first dance, sometimes overlooked by the staff and/or the couple themselves.

Again, this was not to discourage, and or imply which resort has a Better "free" wedding, but to point out that MANY/MOST times, having a GREAT wedding has to with planning, research and what is orchestrated by the many, many different factors at any of the given all-inclusive resorts, and sometimes it comes down to having to spend MORE $$'s.

20. Re: All-inclusive Resorts-To Sandals or Not to Sandals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 20:19