We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you leave the resort???

louisiana
Level Contributor
236 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Can you leave the resort???

I have been all over the caribbean but one of the places I have not been to yet is Jamaica...

My Fiance and I are looking to go on a honeymoon this November and were thinking about Jamaica but we heard from several people from when they went that they had to stay on the resort? How dangerous is it to go on your own outside of the resort. We are looking to stay at a 5star hotel not sandals though and would like to explore the island a bit without feeling uncomfortable...Is this possible? Any advise on where to stay and if we should go would be helpful. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you leave the resort???

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k10343…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k10375…

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,409 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you leave the resort???

Jamaica seems to be fairly unique in that most of the large all-inclusive resorts tell their guests not to leave on their own, to only go out with their own hotel tours. Actually I've heard that about Dominican Republic AIs too.

The first time I went to Jamaica I stayed at a Sandals and they did, indeed, tell us it was not safe to leave on our own.

Many people not only take that advice but pass it on to others, like yourself.

Luckily i came back to Jamaica with someone who had been many times before and found out that this "advice" is really the resort's way of booking you on their overpriced tours and returning to their resorts.

While caution is always essential when traveling, and a sense of humor and good attitude helps a lot with vendors who may be more aggressive than you are used to, it is quite safe to go out. Many, many people not only go out but stay out...in small hotels, guest houses, villas, restaurants, bars, rivers, waterfalls, beaches, caves and such all over the island.

Whether Jamaica makes you feel "uncomfortable" is hard to say. I feel comfortable there, many people do, but many people do not...I think in part because of warnings such as the ones you were given.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you leave the resort???

Another way to look at it is that people like Ohliz, myself, and many many others who provide information on this web site have been going to Jamaica for 10 - 30 years. If we never felt comfortable we wouldn't keep going back.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
327 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you leave the resort???

I go out in to the country to concerts in small towns in western Jamaica. My g;friend started taking me on these late night trips 6 years ago and i have never been happier an felt safer.

The local culture is something the Jamaicans are proud of and they would never think of hurting tourists.

Their money comes from us so why mess that up?

Most of the joy of Jamaica is what happens away from the manufactured atmosphere of an AI. An AI where an Architect is creating Jamaica for you.

In the process he levels everything and rebuilds it with his idea of how it should be.

You go on property and say.... gosh were in Jamaica ,YOUR NOT

. YES GO off property and discover, be an adventurer like the rest of us that have been going to Jamaica for years of safe travel.

Geo

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Maple Shade, New...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you leave the resort???

Definitly leave the resort. Venturing out is the greatest part of travels to the island. You will learn so much and meet many new beautiful friends.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,751 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you leave the resort???

If you go to a resort that doesn't let you leave...they have another word for that -

Jail. In this case, with a beach.

7. Re: Can you leave the resort???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 14:18