We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

I am looking for a forum that provides upfront and basic information about a new travel destination. As my kids get older, they would like to see other places other than Jamaica. The thought of doing the research on where to go is overwhelming. Is there a forum which provide a section for frequently asked question on, weather, seasons, food, currency, people, time zone, popular location. I wish to spend about 15 minutes get some ideas then eliminate or consider a particular destination. Without this, my kids may only see Jamaica. Can this be done on this forum? FAQ section on Jamaica.

Pauline

Best Seller
Club Mobay: Sangster Airport VIP...
553 reviews
from US$30.00*
Jamaica Dunn's River Falls Snorkel...
47 reviews
from US$86.00*
Jamaica Combo Tour: Dunn's River...
144 reviews
from US$130.00*
Special Offer
Blue Hole, Secret Falls and Dunn's...
15 reviews
from US$102.51*
US$120.60
York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

Pauline....I start right here at TA and start reading reviews from the countries I am looking at. You can get a feel almost immediately if people "loved or hated" it. I then go to the Tourism website and get the more pertinent facts.

California
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

This is such a great idea. I have seen the same question, especially on weather, posted here so many times. I too would be interested in this information.

Thanks

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

Hi Pauline,

Here on Trip Advisor on the main page of every destination, on the left hand side there's a green box "Trip Advisor Inside Pages"...

I think that's more or less what you're looking for. Just go to each island/countries home page and then check out the Insider Pages for that place...

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

4. Re: Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2008, 06:51
Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

Steve

Thanks. A dummy no more (lol). A FAQ sticky on the discussion section of the forum would be a nice.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

lol

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
687 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

//Pauline....I start right here at TA and start reading reviews from the countries I am looking at. You can get a feel almost immediately if people "loved or hated" it.//

hmm I dont know about that the reviews of hotels etc swing wildly from

OH EVERYTHING WAS FAB U LOUS

to

IT WAS A GULAG ON THE BEACH

how two peoples experiences can be so different is beyond

me

so what you really need is objective information

how far is this

how much is that

what activities are there etc

that and when people take pictures of the things they found unacceptable give you an idea of what you are in for

the forums well most of the people who post are the ones who have fallen in love with that destination over looking the negatives aspects

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

Elvis.....while I agree with your assesment, I still find reviews and forums here at TA are an excellent place to start. Most of the "local experts" try to be objective regarding resorts and stick to the facts. Their information is usally "spot on". From TA I move to the tourism website for that country/area and then web surf for other reviews/articles. I KNOW what I am looking for when I look for a vacation spot therfore I am able to "weed out" those reviews that focus only on "the materialistic" side of their vacation.

Happy Travels!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
687 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

//Elvis.....while I agree with your assesment, I still find reviews and forums here at TA are an excellent place to start.//

I agree

which is why I read and post on here but sometimes I read posts

that make me scratch my head and think HUH I was there its not like that so my advice is take all the reviews and posts with a grain of salt try and find the commonality within the posts and reviews and that is the closest you are going toget to the truth

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is There a Travel Forum for Dummies?

Getting back to the dummy aspect. Is there a place for FAQ. So many times I see up to 5 postings on the same day having to do with the weather, currency, areas for tourist. How about listing resort by rating not so much by the travel agent who is selling the package but by that country's standard. Quick easy BAM.......in your face! The forum is fantastic but there is so much information here. Need a Jamaica For Dummies.