We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

Well... I finally bought some B1 tablets... they are 100mg each and a bottle of 100 cost me almost $4.US

Since there are regular new threads posted regarding bugs and bug sprays in Jamaica... I thought it would be appropriate to post the following personal experience here...

I bought them with the intentions of trying some of the advice I've read on this board and heard here in Indiana about Vitamin B1 being taken to ward off insect bites.

Lemme tell ya, I am a mosquito magnet. If a mosquito is out and I am out... it (and all it's friends and cousins) is or will be on me soon.

Earlier this summer we had some of the nastiest hot & dry weather that IN has seen in a long time... something close to 6 weeks here at my Southern Indiana home without a rain shower to speak of. Sooooo, the mosquito population just hasn't been out at night... but our weather has cooled down a bit and we've gotten a nice rain shower (just one) about a week and a half ago that kicked all the weeds in gear as well as the mosquitos... so while I had the B1 a few weeks ago, I didn't start the "test" until about (5) days ago...

The gal at the health food store told me that i should see the results I was after in approx. (4) days.

Well, from what I have observed... IT WORKS!!! Freedom from the little buggers at last!

Additionally, I have been giving it to (2) of our (5) dogs... I used the two that have the hardest time with the fleas... we've had a heck of a time keeping the flea population in check this summer and I had also read that B1 naturally repels fleas... so I have given that a try on the pooch's and as far as I can tell IT IS WORKING FOR MY 4 LEGGED BUDDIES TOO!

So, climb the nearest mountain or hilltop and spread the word...

Vitamin B1 might just work for you and your pets at repelling mosquite and other nasty biting bugs!!!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

Hey Frosty,

Thanks for the advice. How many of the B1 tabs do you take per day?

I'm also an Indiana girl, (just close to Cinti), and DRY it has been!

B1 sounds like a natural, cheap way to go. I hate the thought of using 25% deet spray constantly

Hopefully it works for the sand fleas, too.

Karen

Avon Park
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

Thanks Frosty,

I too am the human buffet for bugs so I'll try it too.

shag

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

The tabs I bought were 100mg. and I am taking (1) per day... so are the pooch's.

I've looked all over on Google and don't find any negatives with regards to taking the B1.

As I mentioned, I have also been giving my dogs one per day too. (4) of them are 50+ lbs each... but the small dude is just a 7 pounder... I've been giving him (1) a day too but will be backing him off to 1/2 a day. The pills I bought are a capsule form ... easy to pull apart and empty the powder out onto something yummy for the pickiest pet... the big dogs get theirs in half a large marshmallow...

I don't like the idea of spraying myself with a pesticide... but will do so if need be... that is why I am exstatic about this B1... cheap, easy, effective and natural... cool!

Paradise
Level Contributor
237 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

Frosty, Your best post in my opinion. I do not think my life will ever be the same. I only have the problem when I am in JA. I am so excited to learn for myself if it works for me. I sure hope so. I will be in JA for a few days next month, I will surebe happy to share with you. I was going to ask your opinion about giving it to cats. I have a gf who has a couple of cats and she had real issue with it this summer. My little baby is only 5 months and I do not have a collar on her. She does not need one as yet, She has taken 1 bath already and that was before we left for holiday last month. That was because she rub against mt leg the night before we left and I had hari removal cream on them...LOL So I just wondered if it worked for cats too I think my friend would really value that bit of info.

Thanks again...Wonderful post!!!!!

safe travels love and happiensss

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

JMC... I don't know why it wouldn't work for cats... except that they are so darn picky... you'll prolly have to put it on something really juicy and stinky like Tuna to get them to eat it... It won't take much B1 or Tuna for that matter... I would say that 1/2 a capsule should not hurt... but if you want to be more cautious then try 25% of a capsule... they are easy to put back together so you can just pour a little out and then put it back together and into the bottle.

Here is what it says on Wikipedia...

B1 also know as Thiamine...

Thiamine plays an important role in helping the body metabolize carbohydrates and fat to produce energy. It is essential for normal growth and development and helps to maintain proper functioning of the heart and the nervous and digestive systems. Thiamine is water-soluble and cannot be stored in the body; however, once absorbed, the vitamin is concentrated in muscle tissue.

Thiamine is found naturally in the following foods, each of which contains at least 0.1 mg of the vitamin per 28-100 g (1-3.5 oz): Green peas, Spinach, Liver, Beef, Pork, Navy beans, Nuts, Pinto beans, Bananas, Soybeans, Goji berries, Whole-grains, Breads, Yeast,the aleurone layer of unpolished rice, and Legumes.

High doses...

The RDA in most countries is set at about 1.4 mg. However, tests on volunteers at daily doses of about 50 mg have claimed an increase in mental acuity.

Thiamine as an insect repellent...

Some studies suggest that taking thiamine (vitamin B1) 25 mg to 50 mg three times per day is effective in reducing mosquito bites. A large intake of Thiamine produces a skin odor that is not detectable by humans, but is disagreeable to female mosquitoes. Thiamine takes more than 2 weeks before the odor fully saturates the skin. With the advances in topical preparations there is an increasing number of Thiamine based repellent products. Whilst there is considerable anecdotal evidence of Thiamine products being effective in the field (Australia, US and Canada), there has yet to be any clinical trials run to demonstrate the efficacy of these products.

So there you have it... could take each individual person more or less days for the B1 to saturate... Since it states that it is water soluble and cannot be stored in the body then I would not worry too much about build up over time... but again, if you have concerns... go to your local health food store and inquire if they are knowledgeable about B1... also, inquire if there are any ND's (Naturopathic Doctors) nearby that you can consult with... a person that has submerged themselves in Natural medicines and homeopathic remedies could better answer your specific inquiries regarding dosage amounts...

Thanks to by the way for the compliments & thank you's... will be interested to hear back from ya'll after you try it yourselves...

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

Very interesting indeed, thanks for spreading the word FC!!!

Naomi :-)

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

It's a bad idea to load up on only one B vitamin. It can create deficiencies in the other components of the B-complex. It's best to take a balanced B-complex vitamin with more than the minimum recommended daily allowance.

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

So, regarding the no load up post by the last member... then consider also taking a B-Complex vitamin (most of us can use the extra B's anyway...) to help balance out your intake...

kiz
canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

I'm also mosquito and sandflea magnet.

Even though, we have a huge population of mosquitos in Canada...with the combination of the two bugs....I thought I was going to die from the itch!!

Just prior to the second year visiting Jamaica, I discovered the B1 information and thought I would give it a try. I was told it would take a couple of weeks to start working...and in combination with a bit of skintastic, it seemed to be work wonderfully....barely a bite!!

(Prior to that I was using products that contained the highest amount of deet possible...still didn't help!)

In the back of my mind, I figured this just might be a coincidence! When I moved to Jamaica, I made the mistake of not taking any B1 for quite some time....and seriously...almost packed my bags and headed back.

Instead, I went to the pharmacy, got a very smelly supply of B1's and to my surprise....they seem to be working....and I'm still living here.

Frostychic...thanks for the info...I've always assumed because this darn vitamin was so smelly, that it was a turn off for the pesky critters. Turns out...I'm mostly right!!!

County Durham
Level Contributor
824 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos, Bugs & Vitamin B1

GREAT, I am going to give it a try. As we speak I am covered in midgie bites, don't ask me why or how as it is cold here at the mo.

I have also heard that yeast tablets are ment to work. I think you take them for a few weeks before you go to build up the amount in your system, as well as taking them while you are there.