We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When you are longing to get back to paradise...

Indiana
Level Contributor
222 posts
1 review
Save Topic
When you are longing to get back to paradise...

What is your favorite reminder of Jamaica? What do you do to take you back to your piece of paradise when you need it most?

We try to get back to Jamaica once or twice a year...but in that "in-between" time, the waiting can be soooo long! Looking back through our pictures is always nice, but sometimes I need more. Especially with my countdown now at 171 days! LOL My grown son suggested I make a paper chain in the Jamaican colors (he must have done that once or twice in his early childhood days). My latest effort is changing my ringtone on my phone to "One Love". Problem is, when my hubby calls, I don't want to answer the phone...I want to hear the song play through!

I'm interested to hear what others do...

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When you are longing to get back to paradise...

Isnt it just awful when your at home with time on your hands thinking about Jamaica!!! argh - I dont like to look at my photo's to often they just depress me, one of my favourite things to do is go online and open one of the Jamaican radio stations, i crank up the volume and get on with my day housework etc but in the background i can hear, the Jamaican accent talking and some great music...

Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
927 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When you are longing to get back to paradise...

Well ever since we went to Jamaica I have been OBSESSED with the land of paradise.I listen to Sirius chanel84 Reggae on the 150 mile round trip a day to work-Then at work Sirius Reggae at work for 11.0 hrs-my work computer has screen savers are all from pics of tralvers photos from TA,cell phone ring is reggae music,screen saver on cell phone is the Jamaica flag,wall paper on cell phone is a pic of my Bob Marley shirt-Wall paper on computer is Turtle beach pic,yes we look at our photo album ever once in a while,bring back memories,Ever once in a while i'll call Sunset Jamaica Grande in Ocho Rios-just to hear the Jamaican accent.Read multi fourms about Janmaica in my free time.Mostlty read here on Trip Advisor.

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When you are longing to get back to paradise...

I wish i could go there tomorrow.. a while before i get back..

I listen to my reggaie cds in the car as i drive around, or at home when doing mundane chores, my mp3 player at the computer, sound card dont work on my computer..

Read stuff on TA everyday and answer peoples questions, helps me relive my trips and experiences. Talk to friends, look at photo albums.. Watch the videoing we did while there.. Anything really just to feed my addiction

I also like to sit and relax in my conservatory with reggaie music on, reading a book, i have wooden things in here brought back from jamaica and paintings. This is my chill out room and i try to focus on being there..

We have had a few jamaican theme dinner parties with friends which is great, i need to do another one soon..

Not got a pic on my mobile yet or ringtone will look into that one..

Not sure if its an obsession but my girls say i go on all the time about jamaica!!!! Cant help myself just love the place

I also keep in contact with people we met there, so talk about jamacia to them

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
732 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: When you are longing to get back to paradise...

Spend a weekend in Amsterdam, ok no palm trees, but good vibes all the same ;)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
537 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When you are longing to get back to paradise...

On the day we all hate to have arrive---going back home..I get up before sunrise. I take a walk on the beach--no shoes of course---wriggle my toes in the sand--splash in the water, and sit and watch the sunrise. I take some pix, then head back to room to do the dreaded packing. I take off what I wore to the beach and put it in a freezer zip-lock bag. When I yearn for the island--(which is daily), I just open that zip lock bag and inhale deeply. Believe it or not, it smells like Jamaica. Ya, sounds nutts, I know, but I also know there's someone out there that will "get this." Also, a bit of the rum cream seems to help while listening to Bob...

Boston,MA
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When you are longing to get back to paradise...

I have my ringtone Bob Marley and always listening to Reggae music. Then it always help to go to trip advisor and see how excited everyone else is about Jamaica. I just love the trip planning for next year.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When you are longing to get back to paradise...

I just keep playing my Bob Marley CD's over and over.......LOL

Ashland, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When you are longing to get back to paradise...

My husband marinates chicken in jerk marinade (he learned from our cook in Jamaica) for at least 24 hours then...

The next day he puts many pounds of the marinated jerk chicken on the grill - Oooohhh the smell is fantastic.

Once done, we sit on the porch (nice foilage around although Jamaican), eat jerk chicken and talk about Jamaica. Keep the rest in the fridge to eat for the next few days.

Next, hang out in the hot tub while listening to Bob Marley tunes. Now, I know I don't use a hot tub while in Jamaica, but the heat and the relaxation are wonderful while listening to the tunes.

And of course, visit this site often :)

Ashland, Ohio
Level Contributor
261 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When you are longing to get back to paradise...

Sorry, should say (although NOT Jamaican)

Indiana
Level Contributor
222 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: When you are longing to get back to paradise...

OK...think I will get the blender out this weekend and try to make those delicious Dirty Bananas (they go down way too easy!)...and maybe grill some jerk chicken or lamb chops...yum!