We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration, Baggage and Customs in Montego Bay

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Immigration, Baggage and Customs in Montego Bay

.... how has it been recently?

We really have never had many problems before. The most time we have had to wait in immigration line was about 30 minutes. Baggage has usually only been about 10 minutes and customs were extremely quick. However, last time I thought it was funny when CUSTOMS (not immigration) asked to see son's face before we passed through.

Barre, Vermont
Level Contributor
853 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immigration, Baggage and Customs in Montego Bay

I don't know how long it has been since you have been, but it was completely changed since our last trip in 06. Immigration was totally redone and moved quickly with many lines available - not even a 5 minute wait for us. Customs was also redone with many lines, again through in less than 5 minutes. The issues are when leaving to come home. That took literally 3 hours to pass through. They make coming easy and leaving difficult (on top of the difficulty of leaving paradise anyways).

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Immigration, Baggage and Customs in Montego Bay

It has been almost exactly 1 year to the date! So, I know about the upgrading of the airport. Our trip before that had been in 2005 and the change definitely has been good.

Agree on the leaving. We didn't realise last year the improvements to departures and stayed in the old section. It was only about 45 minutes before our departure that we made our way down and found the fantastic new section! WOW! Now I know!

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immigration, Baggage and Customs in Montego Bay

Just returned on Sunday and had no problems either way. Arriving we were thru everythng in about 15 minutes - from arriving at the gate to arriving in the Sandals lounge. Everything was very quick and smooth - and air conditioned! LOL Coming home the longest wait was checking in at the USAir counter. That took about 30-40 minutes. But then it was very quick thru Immigration again. Many more lines to go thru than in the past. In general the whole experience has become 100% more tolerable - not necessarily enjoyable, but tolerable. :-)

Texas
Level Contributor
328 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immigration, Baggage and Customs in Montego Bay

We were there last week and I would say the total process took about 15min, most of that was in line for immigration (about 10min) then we got our bags and literally just walked right up and through at customs.

We did have a bit of glitch because we didn't know we would need our return flight number (who is thinking about their RETURN flight at that point?) So we got yelled at for that, then dh pulled out his Blackberry to look up the flight confirmation in his email - BIG no-no apparently to use cell phones in the immigration area, even if you aren't making a call. Got yelled at again. A Jamaican resident who was returning and in a line next to us said, "Don't worry, these immigration people are the only Jamaicans who have a stick up their you-know-what".

It was pretty funny because looking back I didn't think twice about the attitude of the immigration officer - it was exactly what we would be used to in the states. They were just following policy, doing their job, etc. it was us who made the mistakes. But after a week there I now see why he said that since everyone else we ran into was much more relaxed and easy going!

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immigration, Baggage and Customs in Montego Bay

Cheers everyone! Glad to hear that things are running smoother and smoother at Montego Bay.

I must say that immigration officers the world over are some of the most humorless people I have ever met!

Oh, on departure, the lady at immigration looked at son and back to passport photo for a good few minutes before letting us through. DS's passport picture is from when he was 1 month old!!! LOL

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Immigration, Baggage and Customs in Montego Bay

i LOVE immigration in Jamaica... they to me actually have a personality... this trip the guy looks at my passport and goes "daaaaamn girl, welcome home, why you stay so long away?"

(but still stamped the passport on the same page as the other stamps I've gotten in JA over the past year and a half... WTF is up with that)..

thanksfully coming home the guy for some odd and wonderful reason did NOT open my passport... whew...

Chelle

7. Re: Immigration, Baggage and Customs in Montego Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 18:17