We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

jamaica
Level Contributor
950 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

Just wondering how many US boardies on here have had to postpone or cancell their trips this year because of the failing US economy....or are waiting till the last minute to make reservations?

I know we have seen a BIG difference in our long-term reservations this year....many, many inquiries (wishful thinking?) but very few actual reservations!

Really hope things turn around soon (wishful thinking?)....so that we can survive here!

Memphis
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

I know that my husband and I have tossed our vacation around this year just because of economy, fuel prices, flights.....BUT...we are planning a trip to Jamaica this Sept. This will be our first trip to Jamaica.

Deal
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

The economy has forced many to cut back on many non-necessities. Many of which consider a vacation an absolute necessity. So if they have to drop certain things & cut back on others to still be able to go on vacation you can bet that they will.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

Our vacations plans haven't and won't change...but most of our friends' have.

The friends who normally fly with their kids to Florida in June drove to North Carolina this year.

The friends who normally fly to Orlando drove to a cottage in the mountains of Tennessee.

etc.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,848 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

For me staying away for 2 years has been more due to personal things going on that have affected my finances more than the economy in general.

I used part of my tax incentive check from earlier this year to book my fall trip, plus a credit card points thing that paid for my villa week. Without that incentive check I'm not sure I'd have been able to pull it off.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

Ours will change from 2 major vacations to one and maybe a few non flying ones. With better fares we would have throw in a third this year. Unlike most families, vacation expensive is the second largest expenditure in out household, behind our mortgage.

Deal
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

As far as the friends / co-workers ect...

I know more people that have the "must be nice" attitude as they both continue to suck on 6 dollar plus per pack a day of cigarettes each. That's about 4400.oo usd a year right there.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

Increasing flight costs make domestic family travel more appealing every day. Good news today though. Oil prices dropped again. At least they were down when I was at the gym earlier today. The media has kind of blown the economy out of proportion. I mean its sputtering but any economist will tell you that the economy goes in cycles.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,848 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

I quit smoking in January (New Year's). I didn't smoke a pack a day but I figure I've saved at least $10 a week anyway :)

That's enough for Seastar in Negril's one week all inclusive off season deal :)

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

I got a crazy deal on land only for BRB but the airfare was so high, I had to pass this year.

Instead, we are taking the kids to Pittsburgh (my hometown) for four days for a little more than the cost of one airline ticket to Jamaica. :(

Deal
Level Contributor
1,151 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling Jamaicaholics vs. US economy

I was always against smoking as a teen & never thought I would be a smoker, but I ended up starting it up at around 24 & smoked a pack plus for nearly 15 years. Then I thought I could never quit. I just passed 2 years without & would never start up that stanky habit again. Ironically it took my hatred of paying additional taxes to wake up.

Last year my aunt died just a few days after her 50th birthday from smoking.