We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

Maryland
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

Pretty much have narrowed my choice to these two. Same price for airfare and a 4 night stay ($2500). What do you think between these two?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

RIU is a new resort literally in the flight path of the airport runway but Montego Bay has a lot going on. The GP is the only resort located in Lucea which has no tourism nor anything nearby.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

well you've already heard from me :)

I enjoyed the Riu in Ochi and I'm sure the Montego Bay Riu would be comparable, but at the same price point, I think that the Grand Palladium should blow the Montego Bay (or any other) Riu away...

they are different classes of property and while one is completely new to Jamaica, they are not new to the business and have a good/great reputation... flat out, rius aren't as stylish/fancy/nice/posh/elegant, or whatever you want to call, it than grand palladiums.. for that reason, my guess is that there will be more families at the Riu than at the grand palladium (I know if I was taking my children I'd probably opt for the Riu thinking the grand palladium seems a bit too "posh" for them)...

the only other way i'd choose the riu over the palladium maybe is if i was looking to walk out the resort gates, grab a taxi have a vast bit of options for dining/nightlife... at the present time this is a bit harder to do in Lucea, i'm sure things will gradually shift to a more tourism focus since this resort is here, but as it stands now if you are looking to explore the immediate area, Montego Bay has bit more to offer the average tourist... Lucea is a nice little town, but as mentioned, not yet set up for tourism... if you don't mind to get in the mix with the local scene, you'll be fine here...

in terms of excursions, Montego Bay has a bit more going on but the trip from Lucy to montego bay or even Negril isn't too bad... I wouldn't make it a real factor in my decsions... chances are in 4 days you aren't looking to do a vast amount of excursions anyways... but do try to get outside the gates and explore the island a bit... :)

(as an aside, there are plenty of people who dislike both properties on this board, so you maybe opening a bit of a can of worms with this thread... I hope for your sake this doesn't slip away :) )

Chelle

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

I would go with the Palladium. The pricing might be once in a lifetime. Hopefully you will have enough money to book a few worthwhile excursions. There are a few threads with pictures of the Riu in Montego Bay. We used Chef Thompson for transfers and excursions.

www.chefsjamaicatours.5u.com.

Spend a day in Negril walking the beach and enjoying the sunset from the cliffs. Take a stroll down Bamboo Ave or see the splendor of YS Falls.

Have a great trip .

Chelle.......I hear you :-)

Pauline

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

$2500.00 for 4 nights! no way! I got the GP for 9 nights for the same price w/airfare. I would search for a better deal. OR @ least look just @ the Grand Palladium (not the lady hamilton side) As they are both connected. For some reason that side is less expensive. But I would definatly choose the GP over the RIU. Just my opinion.

KNKTRAVELS

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

Wow...I didn't notice the 4 nights part.

That is insane!!!!

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

www.jamaica.bookit.com has this resort for $89 per person. Also check Cheap Caribbean.

Hope this helps

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

poster is looking for January... possibly first week? nothing is that cheap then... if they are willing to wait until a couple weeks out, mid to end January typically sees some good sell-offs, but choice of property might be much more limited..

i believe they were bumped from CSA due to Gustav and may be working thru a designated travel company/agent with a rebooking credit and designated rescheduling timeframes (and/or personal restrictions, maybe due to school?) am not sure...

Chelle

Maryland
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

Thanks everyone. Chell is right. We have to go Jan 16th - Jan 20th due to working out babysitting for our kiddos. January is tough on pricing. Comparatively to other resorts $2500 with a direct flight is not too bad. The airfare portion of the trip with air jamaica is $1,100. The rest is the hotel and taxes.

So you all are thinking Grand Palladium over the RIU?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

ahhhh planning around the ever-omnient, superpowerful babysitters... lol, i've done that quite a bit.... that must have really sucked when you had it just right and the storm popped up :( i feel for you!

mid to late january is typically a cheaper time to travel, but when you are flying those short stay dates, you are often stuck to major carriers who may not sell off the way some charters do... i've had to pay upwards of 700 for airfare for a 4-night stay when their are week charter flights that were running less than 350... what a tough pill that is to swallow when a short stay ends up costing a chunk more than a week in total!!! don't sweat it... if you're stuck to those dates there's not too much you can do... i do understand how it is... eventually the kids will be old enough to watch themselves and then you'll be able to jump on those sell-offs :) (and then your worry will the storms you've left in your home and the state it will be in when you return! :) )

Chelle

10. Re: Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton or RIU Montego Bay??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 18:17