We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Critters?!

Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Critters?!

So what kind of critters can I expect to roam the grounds of Jamaica? Iguana's? Coati Mundi's? Roaches? And please tell me there's no snakes!

And whats up with the frogs I keep reading about...they keep you up all night because they sound like a car alarm going off?

Just want to be prepared in advance!

Micki

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Critters?!

Consider the "frogs" just part of the ambiance of Jamaica. You will tune them out. By the 2nd or 3rd night you won't even know they are there. Happy travels

KNKTRAVELS

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Critters?!

It may or may not be frogs.

There is a small lizard or gecko which sounds much like a frog and the locals call it a croaking lizard...

When we were in JA about 14 years ago we asked a maid about the little geckos we saw running around the property and what they were called. We expected to be told that they were **insert name of small lizard here** but instead we were told that there were three types - green lizard, brown lizard and croaking lizard. Simple answers from simple people - we could all learn a thing or two about the simplicity of life from these people and how to uncomplicate our own lives. I was humbled by the experience and am very much looking forward to our return.

Gregg

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Critters?!

Or simply do what I have done, pack ear plugs :-).

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Critters?!

Hi Mickifor2

No snakes.

Cute little lizards,sand crabs,an occasional chicken, goats and pigs grazing in the pastures near the side of the road.

The frogs do NOT sound like a car alarm going off. They are quite musical, gleep, gleep, gleep.

You will have the time of your life!!

Best wishes,

Gail

Flowery Branch...
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Critters?!

sorry micki, there is the jamaica boa. but you don't need to worry about it. it has a main diet of rat. many Jamaicans feel good to have a boa take up residency in their house. It keeps a rat problem down. You'll live to love the sound of the tree frogs at night. in fact you'll miss the sound, after you return home, (another reason to make that return visit to JA) lol.

Happy trails.

steve

Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Critters?!

Well if a frog or a 'croaking' gecko is all I have to worry about...then its all good! If it compares to the sound of locust in August, which I love to hear ..then even better!

Micki

Etters, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Critters?!

So Steve are you telling me that rats are prevelent?? Sighs:(

Guess I can pack a baseball bat!

Micki

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Critters?!

Ear plugs are usually a nessesity. Sometimes the walls are too thin for comfort, or you are too close to the band (entertainment). I like the frogs /croaking lizards, adds to my experience. What I dont like is that video someone put up a while back of the centipede...ewwww now that some scarry mess right there!!!!

Green Isle...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Critters?!

I, personally, did not see one rat while we were in Jamaica. They must have been well hidden lol. We loved the gleep gleep of the tree frogs. Here is what they sound (and look) like. We never saw one ourselves, they stay well hidden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLL1l3o-ZGc

We were startled by the loudness the first night when we walked through the garden to the bar. Immediately realized what we were hearing, thanks to the descriptions of them on Trip Advisor. After awhile we found the sound to be very soothing and relaxing.

Teresa

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,663 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Critters?!

That centipede is called a 40 legger, and being bit by one is NOT fun (First hand experience!) However, they aren't typically in a tourist area.

I love the little lizards - we had one who checked in our room at the same time as us one trip - every morning it was a game to see where he was before we got out of bed!