We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

Went for breakfast…….my new friends were already there so sat with them………hotplate today: bacon ,full egg omelette and beans……..this is what I had……there was also festival and some kind of veg?plus obviously the usual other things.....

They were going for a walk outside the hotel ,down to the hi-lo to change some money,I stayed to sit at the pool,the bad weather seemed to have subsided and the pool looked inviting…….they came back later and a lazy sunbathing day ensued before our big night out………

I ate a late lunch at the bar,,,,,bbq’ed chicken ,fries and coleslaw…….no ‘yard’ food at this bar…it was nice tho……..

We sunbathed and chatted amongst ourselves and other guests until it was time to return to our respective rooms to get ready for our night out…….

I was expecting jody as promised at about 7.30pm…….I had already decided to go with Debbie and co…I just didn’t want to be around Jody now….too be honest……..

Anyone,she rolled up….at 8.30pm

I was in the process of getting ready …..she looked no better…..Steven looked great…dressed up to the nines for his night out…….

I was just about to inform her that I wasn’t going with them but would no doubt see them there when…..Jody looked flustered and blurted out she wasn’t going………

Steven left the room and wondered down towards the cliff edge………

And why was this and have you told steven?’’.I asked…….

Well …..Jody was running out of money it seemed?……go figure…..lol

She informed me that over the days she was with steven so far….she had paid for:

1) all drinks and food,

2)2 days scooter hire,

3) 2 days car hire

And everything else in between it seemed……so….surprise surprise !!!! She had hardly any money left……..

They were not going to the jungle night club or anywhere like that…she couldn’t afford it……..he had managed to spend most of her holiday money in 4 days…….

At last she was waking up and smelling the coffee……..

I won’t say everything that she told me about her new beau and his habits…….the thread will be pulled…….suffice to say.. I now truly hated him…….

I so wanted to go out that night with Debbie & co but said to Jody…….

’’right ,lets get the barsteward(steven) removed by security and we wilL just stay in the hotel and set things to rights over a few drinks‘’……….

She said she had to go back to his house in Sheffield(a lot of the ‘gigs’ live here) to get her handbag..it had everything she needed in it…….including her medication……Jody had a heart condition……

I wasn’t happy but she said she was ok…I told her a was really worried about her ,and I was……..but she assured me she was coming back with all her things tomorrow and he would be no more……..I was happy with that…..

They left…….

I continued to get ready…..and got to the bar at about 9’ish… to meet up with he others……

We had a few drinks and sat near the cliff edge…

There’s a raised outdoor platform just between the bar and cliffs…it’s the outdoor dining area……it was a lovely night and a few rum punch’s were consumed before we left…..lol

Got a cab to the jungle…..there were the 4 of us girls and shel,their ja friend……..we decided to have a drinks kitty and threw in 1,000 ja each…..the entry price to the jungle was ,if I remember correctly 400 ja each…….

Its free to get on Thursdays for women that want to go but are on a more constricted budget…….

Well its really nice in here…….you can see they invest their money back………2 floors ….

1st floor was beautifully cool…..A/I was working great……..

we headed up to the 2nd floor…..

Really nice again…well presented and polite bar staff…

We ordered our drinks…each one followed by a shot……we were in a partaaay mood!!!!!.. can’t remember if it was expensive or not…….lol

After a few hours or maYbe a little less……we were well on our way…so next stop....

Scrub a dub……one of the more dubious clubs…..strippers are in attendance……I’m never bothered by things like this…..I’ve seen most things believe me……

We were going there to see a singer /band called Vibz Cartel and we paid 1,000 ja for the priviledge…..he wasn’t worth it….lol

After entering the place there is a huge open yard area…the bar is at the back and the strippers main podium is in front of this……altho you will see them wondering around…..I chatted to one of the girls at the bar……perfectly nice girl……

We went upstairs….to make sure we had a good vantage point to see the band…this is completely open air….with a bar at the far end…and an ornamental(?) swimming pool to one side…..a long balcony ran down the whole of one side……a good viewing area….

We had a great night tho…and just to prove not all Jamaican men are bad……I was bought a few drinks by men there…..nothing was expected of me and nothing was given……..the drinks just appeared in front of me..

A word to the wise tho ladies……not about the men…lol

Upstairs at this place the ladies toilets has a step up/down to it…that is imo ,,absolutely lethal……its really high…and the floor is tiled…..you slip or fall of that on your way out the bathroom area and you’re gonna feel the pain…..and probably lose a few teeth…..

We partied hard……and left really late……stopped on the way back at Miyard……..for food……really fancied a game of pool but by now my eyes were playing tricks on me and it wasn’t the way……lol

Headed home…..I know we paid someone for a cab……but I wasn’t out of pocket the next day ..so it was all good…….

Managed to find my cottage and undressed and ate my food looked at my watch……4.30 am or maybe later ..definitely not earlier………..slept……

xxx

Millom, United...
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

Keep it coming, we've a week left and Jody is skint, it seems like you might need deep pockets to keep her in fooD!!!!!

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

OMG!

You still have a week to go!

Can't wait!!

KNK

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

Well I'm glad your friend finally woke up. Doesn't sound like she has much self esteem and it sounds to me like she was either snorting coke or smoking crack with her "beau" and paying for it to boot.

I could've called that one based on your descriptions as far as her paying for everything. I hope the next installment finds the two of you enjoying yourselves together - and I hope also getting off property for a bit to enjoy some "yardie" food, especially for breakfast!! :)

I do have to object to some of the generalizations you've made and its not to be obstinate its just to set some things straight - based on my 25 years experience traveling to and spending extended periods of time in Jamaica and NOT in a resort setting:

Sheffield is a lovely community. "Gigs" as you call them live all over the place and there is certainly NOT a specific concentration of them in Sheffield. I have many friends who live there - its just outside of Negril and the rents/home prices are much less expensive (two friends have the most beautiful homes there!)

I think the "myth" you spoke of in your Day 6 thread about Jamaican men lacing spliffs with coke is wholly untrue. Do some do it? I really don't know - most the Jamaicans I know won't touch cocaine with a 10 foot pole - the ones who do only do to party with their non-Jamaican friends/girlfriends. But I've never known any to slip any substance into a joint aside from Tobacco as that is something that is often done there. But - for all you women who want to take heed of this lacing business - cocaine has a very distinct smell - either gasoline-like or as best I can describe it, "sour" like that overpowers the ganga smell when it is lit. Best advice here, if you don't like the way it smells, don't eat it, don't drink it and definitely don't smoke it.

OK-that said, bring on Day 7...

:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

rastagirl...

most jamaicans don't want anything to do with individuals like steven too.... they are an overall unsavoury element in society, and as to what they will and wont do, well i'd put just about NOTHING by them...

i digress...

thanks for sticking with this story Fruity... I know it must not be easy to relive... all things considered :(

Chelle

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

Erm.....

I have it on good authority.....that a lot a the 'gigs; live in Sheffield...in fact I know they do...

I'm not saying its 'gig' city tho......

I also know for a FACT that some of them do lace the spliffs with the white substance I mentioned....

I personally know a jamaican guy whose son's ex girfriend had it done to her on a previous trip to to jamaica,,,,

Its their way of introducing the drug and subsequently making the girls reliant and then leading to the more serious drugS mentioned by rastagirl777.

Its there and its happening.....the smell of the drug being smoked in the spliffs give the spliff a acrid smell.....

xxx

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

Ohh yeah we've been offerd plenty of the grade A stuff while there. It seemed too many Jamaicans were questioning us with green or white? We've even had a cabanna boy barge into our room @ 8am! Thinking I asked him for this, when in fact it was the next room over...of whom had left the night before. Looked to me like he had a few tastes himself. Is it leagal? No. Does it happen? Every day.

Dont even get me started on the pink rum punch!

(which is what I think Jody was "slipped")

Fruity,

Very entertaining to say the least, I hope you got your friend back in one piece.

KNK

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

I am glad you had a good time with your new friends! sounds like you guys are a lot of fun. Tell us more on Jody! I can't wait a WHOLE entire week for the end of the story. It's good.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

Yes so true ......

The 'white' is now a big problem in jamaica and not just with tourists...

I've seen it taken(snorted) at hill parties off the bonnets of cars. by jamaicans....

Its high grade as well,coming throught Cuba ,I would imagine,...

Its 'unbashed' or 'off the flake' as we call it in the UK if you get the pure.....

Jody wasn't 'sniffing'...I asked her......

xxx

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

We were in Negril the same time as you...can't believe we missed Vybz Cartel.

We may have almost met up as we had loosely arranged to meet up with Deb and her friends at Sea Star the following week. Did you stay for 2 weeks or 3 ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
746 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report ...Day 7....Saturday the 6th of September...

Great post you didnt tell them that we had to wait an hour for your food from miyard well worth it i love that place.....

Regarding the situation of things being put in your smoke i seen it while i was there with some of my local freinds. and also on one occasion i know that someone that i met on holiday went a little crazy on the green stuff and there ja boyfreind at the time put a little white power in there soup to bring them back to a normal state...this happends everywhere not just ja.

Deb x