We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

I need help in deciding which resort. We are a family of 5 (kids ages 2, 10, 13). We want a nice resort that all 3 kids can enjoy....plus child watch so mom and dad can enjoy. Is there a teen program at Starfish. I know we will have to get 2 rooms (except for Beaches) so the price is almost the same for each....PLEASE HELP!

Best Seller
Club Mobay: Sangster Airport VIP...
553 reviews
from US$30.00*
Jamaica Dunn's River Falls Snorkel...
47 reviews
from US$86.00*
Jamaica Combo Tour: Dunn's River...
144 reviews
from US$130.00*
Special Offer
Blue Hole, Secret Falls and Dunn's...
15 reviews
from US$102.51*
US$120.60
Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

We were at SJG our kids were 4-6 we had a blast-they watched the kids.but we stayed on the water slides all the time anyway-It was ALL FUN-For the price through Expidia.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
715 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

Ive been to Boscobel twice, we are a family of 5; 3 kids, 12, 11, 10. we always got a nice upgraded room, 2 double beds, one double pullout and a cot if you want. the room is big, with a balcony overlooking the pool and ocean.

We like that the resort is smaller, so that the kids can go back and forth to the pools, or the game room adn we dont have to trail behind them and worry where they are. The beach is smaller, but definitely does the trick.. no crowds, easy to find empty chairs, really a nice resort even though its smaller than the others.

Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

Thanks. What room did you originally book and what were you upgraded to? My husbands biggest concern is not having enough room.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

If you can go to beaches for about the same amount as Starfish book Beaches! Starfish was not impressive when we were there in July.

You will not be able to eat at the good restaurants with the kids at Starfish. They have an age limit at the Italian and don't allow kids at all at the fine dining room. Not sure about the Japanese as we did not go there. The buffet would be your only option and it was rather nasty.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
715 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

We booked the cheapest room and were upgraded to the Grande Lux - we always go the last week of august so the resort is at 30-40% capacity. I am pretty sure that if you are a signature member, you will be upgraded upon check in.

There is definitely enough room. Youre not really in the room except to sleep and get dressed, but its nice to be able to sit on the balcony and have a few drinks (the refrig in the room is stocked with water, juice and soda and refilled daily). You can bring food from the BBQ pit or the buffet to your room also.

If you have any other questions ,you can PM me. I have pics also if youd like to see the room.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

do you want to go off property much (i.e have things for the family to walk to or excursions nearby?), or does that sound like the opposite of a vacation for your group? lol :)

Starfish and Boscobel are somewhat isolated... there isn't a great deal in the immediate vicinity... SJG the only one within walking distance to shopping and dining off property, and there are plenty of excursions in the Ochi area...

As an aside boscobel and starfish are completely different classes of properties, i'd be tempted to say that if they are running the same rate, go for boscobel... it'd be nicer to have everyone in the same room too i imagine (although maybe not for mom and dad, there's no way you're going to get out of that situation without someone being in the same room as the 2yr old anyways :) )

starfish is more than an hour closer to the airport than Boscobel tho...

those are just a few things to consider...

Chelle

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

If the price is the same then go with Beaches. We loved both places but thought Beaches was overpriced compared to the SJG. Even though SJG is located in town, we did not venture off much when our son was two. The game room at Beaches is awesome.

Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

I think we are leaning toward SJG...we can stay for an extra night there for close to the same price as beaches. I spoke with SJG directly and was told I could hire a one on one sitter for my two year old while we take the two older kids on excursions ( a big plus for us) Has anyone utilized their one on one sitting services? Also, does the room come with a stocked mini fridge and is soy milk available?

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

" Also, does the room come with a stocked mini fridge" No

10. Re: SJG vs. Beaches Boscobel vs. Starfish......HELP!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 22:19