We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

MA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

I'm looking for a family all-inclusive. I want a resort where there are a lot of things for the family to do together. Not a resort that only has a kids club where you drop off your kid. I want to have a family vacation together as a family.

My husband and I love Sandals, so we're considering Beaches. Beaches Negril is out of our price range. Beaches Boscobel is do-able, but I'm looking to compare it to some other places.

For example, we'd save $1000 by choosing Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay. Is Beaches Boscobel worth that much more?

What about all the Riu's in Jamaica? Do they have a lot of family stuff to do or no?

I'd love any opinions. Thanks!

MA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

bump

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

Have you looked at Sunset Jamaica Grande? very family appropriate (complete with waterpark), good location.. lacks the frills of a beaches property, but also the price tag too :) i also like the ochi area as a family destination because there are tons excursions off site and closeby to enjoy :)

you don't state the age of your children but it's my opinion that while family friendly, a riu property probably wouldn't have enough family activities to meet your needs...

Chelle

MA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

My son is 7.

Yeah, I think I've ruled out Riu. It doesn't seem like there's enough to do there.

So, it's down to Beaches Boscobel, Holiday Inn Sunspree, or Sunset Grande or Sunset Montego Bay.

I read some really really bad reviews of Sunset on this site, so I'm kind of scared. (Bedbugs, food poisoning, etc).

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

Check out the Rose Hall Resort (a Hilton).

It has a mediocre beach but a terrific waterpark. Plus, it just came off a major remodeling.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

...or one of the FDR Resorts (Pebbles or Franklin D. Resort).

I would choose the FDR Resorts and the Rose Hall Resort before Beaches (because I think they are overpriced), Sunset Jamaica Grande (because I am not a fan of Ocho Rios), Rius, etc.

Mattituck, NY
Level Contributor
847 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

I would also suggest that you check out FDR resort.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

How soon are you looking to book? We were looking for much the same vacation you're describing and chose Rose Hall Resort (Hilton property). I'd be happy to give you my thoughts upon return, but we won't be back until about the first of May.

We've stayed a couple of nights at the HISS in MoBay before, and weren't very happy with the food, quality of rooms and service, so that was out for us.

A big draw of the FDR resorts is the fact that you're assigned a nanny all week to watch after the kids. My understanding is that the food and resort in general are pretty mediocre...since we're not looking for the nanny option we ruled those resorts out.

Beaches seems nice to me, but I feel overpriced, so we decided against these properties.

RIU's and the other Spanish mega resorts aren't even an option we'll consider, so they're out.

Basically, it came down to: The Sunset Properties, Rose Hall Resort and Starfish Trelawny...with RHR and ST being the front runners.

We ultimately decided on RHR due to reviews on this site and previous experiences with Hilton Resorts.

Bottom line is: I don't think Beaches is worth the extra $$, but I also don't think HISS is worth the savings...does that make sense? I think you'd be much happier with an in between priced resort like RHR or Starfish...you won't be paying the top dollar of Beaches, but you'll certainly be upgraged from Sunspree.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

i think if you're doing a lot of stuff as a family, a resort like FDR/pebbles might not be the best investment...

the big draw to these properties is the nanny that gives mom and dad some private time...

just my thoughts...

Chelle

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

Yes and no, Chelle.

To me, the benefit is that it gives you the option. If you wanted to, you could spend all day playing with your kids or generally spending family time.

I probably wouldn't take a teenager there (as a first choice anyways), but I think it would be great for a 7 year old and family.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family All-Inclusive -- Beaches? Riu? Holiday Inn Sunsp?

guess i read into the thread that the OP is not really looking for the option, it's always nice to have, i totally agree, but i guess the value of the option would be in how much you'd look to exercise it...

i wonder if club caribbean is still the same way... it's been years since i stayed there, but i remember they used to have mom-daughter/dad-son (and other combinations that exist) activities... silly games like crab racing, egg and spoon deals... seemed a bit family or company picnic-y some days, but those who participated always enjoyed :) it's quite possibly changed since then, but worth checking into too...

Chelle