We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treasure Beach - South Coast

missouri
Level Contributor
429 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Treasure Beach - South Coast

After much research and emails, we have booked the Shakti Home for the 2nd week in May. Transportation with Treasure Tours from MoBay airport. Airfare through Worryfree from St. Louis, MO. Decisions made, thank goodness. We were trying to stay in the Bluefield area for a couple nights, but couldn't coordinate it. Also wanted to see the Portland area, but not enough time this trip. Next year. Have stayed in MoBay, Negril, and Ochos, our first trip to the South Coast. Also have never rented a Villa with a cook. A little apprehensive about privacy, but explained to the managers we would be eating through the vendors and restaurants, or cooking ourselves most of the time. Assuring privacy. The Home also furnishes mountain bikes which is a plus!Now that we have a place to stay, and a way to get there, we have to figure out what we want to do besides eat, drink, walk, nap, etc... Pelican Bar for sure. And??? Thanks for all your help.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Treasure Beach - South Coast

i've seen the shakti property many times and always thought that it looked adorably cozy and cute...

their new website actually piqued my interest last month, but i'll only be in TB for one night next month and they require a 2 night minimum booking... ah well... it appears that our loss is likely your gain as our night, had they booked us, would have probably messed up your week :)

i think it'll be a good choice, it's a newer property and if it was available before this year for public rental, it was more on an impromtu basis as I'd heard it was private on previous trips...

as for things to do... YS falls, Black River, Bamboo Alley and Appleton Rum factory (all can be done together for a full day out)

lovers leap

little ochi

alligator pond and gut river

mandeville site seeing/shopping

bluefields/peter tosh memorial

accompong (marron village) if you're up for the drive and interested in the island's history...

there's also some interesting history and beautiful views from munro college (and the sister school hampton college), these aren't the schools that need the donations tho if you're of that mindset, someone in treasure beach can direct you to schools that are much more needy...

that should get you started...

pelican bar and little och (alligator pond/gut river) can go via boat (i recommned doing that, breaks up the driving that you'll have to take to go everywhere else), there are quite a few drivers that can work with you in treasure beach, ask the owners of shakti to recommend one... there's also a poster on negril.com (accompong i believe is his name) who has a good number of contacts for south coast drivers and can recommend a good one...

hope that helps some

Chelle

missouri
Level Contributor
429 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Treasure Beach - South Coast

Thanks for your help! Also for not messing up our week!!! Very excited to see this area. Will start looking into the places you suggested. Have found on vacations not to plan too much or you miss the what the property area has to offer. Just being back in Jamaica is a wonderful feeling!

windsor ontario
Level Contributor
885 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Treasure Beach - South Coast

I also will be making my first trip to T.B. Have already extended an extra night at Taino Cove because of all the info from the net. Cant wait for July.

crossville tenn.
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Treasure Beach - South Coast

Just returned from 2 wks on the south coast. Spent 3 nights at Idler's Rest Black River and 12 nights at Shakti Home. No worries about privacy, place is very quiet and secluded into it's self. Very nice accomidations and Audrey is a great cook and a great person. She and her daughters added much to our trip. Need a driver ? Damion is the guy. A good ride and senseable [344-6173]. Local resturants are O.K. try Oliver's Dutch Pot, gold coast rest@kingfisher plaza, Jack Sprat,& Sunset Resort. We prefered Audrey's cooking. Go to Southern Supply for wine and stuff. Make a trip to Black River to stock up on stuff [ wine, beer munchies, etc] super ? market next to post office. Good resturant at Idler's Rest.

Enjoy, We did.

missouri
Level Contributor
429 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Treasure Beach - South Coast

Great to hear that you enjoyed yourself. I have so many questions. Where you went, what you did, the beach,etc.Is this your first trip to the South Coast? Would love to hear about it. Thanks.

crossville tenn.
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Treasure Beach - South Coast

forward questions to jwmuster@citlink.net

This was our third trip to T.B. / B.R. area. Have been doing the Jamacia thing since 1973. Mostly Negril, Port Antonio, Sav La Mar.

Happy to answer any questions I can.

Jim

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Treasure Beach - South Coast

Hello howardmonty,

On April 21st I posted an answer with two links that have several lovely photographs of the area.

I am sure that you will have fun and discover why it is known as a Treasure.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k27254…

8. Re: Treasure Beach - South Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 13:19