We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negril, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios?

Dunedin, Florida
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Negril, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios?

My husband and I are traveling with another couple this December and we are trying to determine which area of Jamaica would be best for us. We want turquoise water, soft sand beaches in a relaxing atmosphere. We do want access to activities, nightlife, etc., but do not want to be bombarded by it. We like to party, but want our privacy/relaxation too.

Wherever we stay, we will likely take a day or two to explore other parts of the island, but want our home base to be in one area. Also, wherever we stay we don't want to be in a typical hotel room. We want more like condo or suite-type accommodations.

Any insight and recommendations are appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Dunedin, Florida
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios?

Anyone? :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios?

Maybe NBCC (negril beach club condos) or Beachcombers in Negril?

Chelle

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios?

Hello bliss451,

I have lost count of the number of times that I have tried to answer this question. I sincerely hope that you find the right place that suits you.

From my own personal experience I have found that just being on the island helps to make me feel so relaxed that I quickly forget about all the many things that I had planned to do. Then when I return to my normal routine it takes me at least two weeks to get back into the swing of things. That’s when I know that I have enjoyed my vacation.

Within a few minutes walking distance of the famous San San Beach.

Also the same distance from the world famous Blue Lagoon.

You cannot want a more central location to enjoy investigating places like Boston Bay, Reich Falls, Somerset Falls, and Nanny Falls.

But once you get there, the best thing that you will enjoy is just doing nothing but relaxing. You will not want to do anything else.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147314-d310…

Have fun no matter where you decide to rest your head.

Mentioned in this post
San San Beach
San San Beach
142 Reviews
Jamaica
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Somerset Falls
Somerset Falls
150 Reviews
Jamaica
Dunedin, Florida
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios?

Thanks JohnnyB. Is Negril very, very crowded and bustling? All of my friends say they have stayed in Negril while my aunt & uncle stayed in Montego Bay. The aunt & uncle said Montego Bay seemed very different from Negril, which they did a day trip to. They said they felt it was more crowded in Negril.

Is there nightlife in the area of the place you recommended?

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios?

Negril can be quite bustling in December... it's hard to have lots of options while not having lots of people unfortunately.... early december isn't nearly as busy but things pick up to about full speed by christmas... there are a few options on the far ends of the beach that might be a bit quieter, but in general unless you go during off season, it can be a pretty busy place... i stayed at a place called lazy dayz... mid beach.. everyting was there in and around me, but the property was so lovely that you forget it as soon as you step onto it... i've put a review up, might be worth checking out... if the place next door is used as a venue it will be LOUD, but i don't think that happens but a few times a year...

I love port antonio, but it's lack of walkability makes it a bit difficult to navigate without a driver/vehicle... not sure if that's an issue?

the nightlife is very much jamaican style there... you may find a few round robins (street dances) that start at 10 or 11 but don't really pick up until 1 or 2am and go until daybreakish... from my experiences round robins involve a lot of standing around and people watching, especially if you aren't up for staying until late late when things pick up a bit... if you go directly into town you have an option or two of jamaican style clubs... nothing "touristy" about it, but safe none the less... there's always a restaurant or bar that won't really offer a "party" but more just good conversation and lots of drinks...

goblin hill is located a little walk from the beach, not sure if beach front is important to you, i can't think of an abundance of properties in Portland/Port Antonio that are beach front...

if you can compromise on the beach quality a little and def aren't looking for bustling but want to find some action nearby if you seek it, treasure beach might work, it's my favourite part of the island because of the people and the ability to have peace and quiet when you want it and "action" (as it is, nothing wild or crazy here) when you want to look for it... close walk from most places in calabash bay or fishermans bays... www.treasurebeach.net

that's my take on it... Johnny always puts a much nicer spin on everything :)

Chelle

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Dunedin, Florida
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios?

Where are the best beaches...turquoise water and soft sand?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios?

Negril... 5 miles of almost completely uninterrupted walkable white sand and calm, clear turquioise water beachfront, complete with an abundance of restaurants/bars along the way...

some beaches smaller beaches in portland are fairly comparable, but they are fairly spread out and the longest is probably a mile (long bay).. it does have the benefit of being much more deserted...

Chelle

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
California
Level Contributor
444 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios?

How are the beaches in Mo Bay? We are going to stay at the IB Grand Rose Hall at the end of June.

Mentioned in this post
Rose Hall
Rose Hall
Jamaica
9. Re: Negril, Montego Bay or Ochos Rios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2009, 05:50