We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

north wales
Level Contributor
182 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

Going in August with the kids AI but obviously need money for trips and stuff. Was wondering whats the best way to take currency? Dont want to take vast ammounts of cash even though I intend to use the safe. Which travellers cheques are likely to get a better exchange $ or £? Was going to take about £200 worth of Jamaican$ to see me through the first few days do you think this will be ok? Thanks in advance :)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

The exchange rate in Jamaica is fair for both $GBP and $US. You can cash in your cheques at the resort front desk but the rate will not be as good as using a cambio. No need to buy $US travellers cheques to change to $JA after you arrive which would then be two processes charged a fee rather than one. It is recommended you do bring some small denomination $US for tipping however. Also, there is a cambio in the airport arrivals area where you can purchase $JA if need be to tie you over.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
777 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

Karen jamaican dollars are used widley hubby n i take just a few jamaican dollars then use atm machines as you get a better rate .. ... My advise would be take jamaican Dollars to see you through a couple of days, then use atms have a great holiday.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

Good point, provided you are not charged a high user fee out of country. I see that you are staying at the Holiday Inn Karen. Anyone know if there is an atm nearby?

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

There's no need to spend time and money buying and then exchanging traveller's cheques. As Sandra states, Take Jamaican dollars to see you through the first few days, then draw from ATM's as you need. Travel insurance will cover for the loss of reasonable amounts of cash (protection which you probably don't have back home!) Deal with cash in Jamaica much the same way as most people do back home. JA has plenty of ATM's.

To find the best debit or credit card go to: moneysavingexpert.com/travel/…topcards

For the best rate on foreign exchange: http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

To print a cheat sheet for the exchange rate: http://www.oanda.com/convert/cheatsheet

For insurance: moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-travel…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
746 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

Hi Karen,

I always take sterling trav chqs and change them at a cambio free of charge....It works best for us so we can track what we are spending....I do also take a few ja $ aswell for when when i arrive xx

north wales
Level Contributor
182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

Aw thank you so much everyone for your replies really do appreciate it! Can I just also ask what would you consider a reasonable tip rate? Thanks again :)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

Tips for good service are on average 15%.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

i too always take a bit of cash the use ATM's just check with your bank what they charge, and make sure you tell them, xmas they blocked my card nd i ad to call them.

Have fun :)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

Good advice posted by jasoldier with those moneysavingexpert links...

I purchased my new travel insurance through that site..saved a lot.....(flexicover)...

Sound advice about informing your credit card providers before you leave for your holidays.....

The blocke thing happened to me once in New York and Thailand...both times the credit card providers had been informed of my trips prior to leaving...and I still had problems...

Also inform and check on your mobile phone usage charges.....

I take a small amount of Jamaican dollars with me....I always find M&S have a good exchange rate...but its absolute rubbish compared to the favourable rates exchanging your money in Jamaica..

Also....my vote always goes to Travellers Cheques....

Safe to use...no good for thieves(if you have signed them) ..replaced within 24-48 hrs if lost or misplaced...cash them at any /most cambios(if not all) on the island.....

Be careful using your credit cards because of heightened reports of fraudulent misuse on the island....

And as mentioned the high withdrawal feeswhen you use them...

As pointed out by another poster(jasoldier?) some cards and a few debit cards have lower or no fees...please check out his links....

xxx

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice please which travellers cheques US$ or £sterling?

I take some ja dollars and use the atms..

I let my bank no i will be using them to make withdrawels..I have a nationwide acount and normally there is no charge but apperently that is changing..so best to check..lots of atms about the island..and only had one problem with withdrawels..machine not giving us money..not just me that happened to..

£200 to take intially is a good amount..

something to consider if you book with the rep at your hotel you can use your visa card to pay for the trip..