We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowne Plaza Hotel???

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Crowne Plaza Hotel???

A friend of mine is planning a Jamaican trip (that will include me) and says we'll stay at Crowne Plaza Hotel. I can find absolutely nothing online about this place. Can anybody help?

Kathy Walters

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowne Plaza Hotel???

hi there...

yeah... i'd double check that... maybe i'm wrong, but i thought the crown plaza was repossessed (is that the right word, my brain is still waking up lol) by the government years ago in leiu of significant back taxes... it was an interesting little place in heading up to stony hill, nice views of Kingston, a bit of a distance from the finanical core of new kingston and most other major commerce to make it a viable business hotel... last i heard it was used for dorm for government employees and whatnot...

there is a crown olympia on molneys (sp?) in Kingston... a very basic, budget type place...

i'm not thinking of any other hotel that has either crown or plaza in it, brain isn't functioning yet :) maybe there's a small guest house that stole the name? please get your friend to double check his booking sources and find the exact location... i'm sure there's some sort of "telephone game" happening here :)

Chelle

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowne Plaza Hotel???

Hmm...there is no Crowne Plaza in Jamaica, W.I.

There is one in Jamaica, NY, though...

???

3. Re: Crowne Plaza Hotel???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 June 2009, 12:53
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowne Plaza Hotel???

hehehe i wonder if we just ruined a twist they were planning on playing on you...

ah well when trip advisor and the internet exists, it's hard to pull these ones over! :)

maybe there's another destination in mind after crowne plaza? (the jamaica one is the one by jfk airport i believe)

Enjoy :)

Chelle

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowne Plaza Hotel???

Its appears to have been renamed Powell Plaza and is in Kingston. It was renamed after Colin Powell and its owned by the JA govt and houses govt workers/offices.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowne Plaza Hotel???

I stand corrected. It appears to be owned by the US Govt and is part of their embassy compound. Am I right?

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowne Plaza Hotel???

Yeah, I wonder if, in a curious coincidence (haha), the Crowne in Jamaica, NY is simply the airport hotel you would be staying at before flying to Jamaica, W.I.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowne Plaza Hotel???

My friend sent me this link:

worldwidevacations.com/caribb/…jam101.htm

Now you all have me very, very worried.

Is there anybody on this forum who lives in Jamaica who could check more closely on this? Thanks.

Kathy

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crowne Plaza Hotel???

I emailed the worldwidevacations website and my email came back to me as undeliverable. **sigh**

Kathy

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crowne Plaza Hotel???

Yeah, that has to be old...the place hasn't been open for a while.