We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Cruise Ship!

Ashland, KY
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
No Cruise Ship!

We've never been to Jamaica, but are considering it for our wedding. Now, a strange question. Due to a previous marriage and a honeymoon cruise, we don't want anywhere near a cruise ship. Is it possible to fly to Jamaica, stay at a nice resort and get married on the beach without being near a port or seeing a ship?

west virginia
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Cruise Ship!

Um, Yes.

You can get married at almost, if not any resort. You see them every day. If you search the archives I am sure you'll find all you need or contact a resort and they will help you out.

Bud

Ashland, KY
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No Cruise Ship!

Thank you for the reply. So, if I'm understanding correctly, there are indeed resorts on the beach where you cannot see cruise ships. Correct? Again, since we've never been, we don't have a clue how big Jamaica is or what to expect at all. I know it's an odd request. I appreciate your time.

PF

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Cruise Ship!

I never saw a cruise ship while I was in Negril or Montego Bay. It just depends on which resort you choose. It is likely you will pass one when you are heading to Negril from the airport. I am sorry, you can't help that.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Cruise Ship!

If you absolutely do not want to see a cruise ship, go to Negril.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Cruise Ship!

Montego Bay & Ochi have ports - so go Negril, ive never seen a cruise ship while i have been there :)

Ashland, KY
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: No Cruise Ship!

Thanks so much everyone. Again, I know that this is an odd request, but I really think a wedding on a Jamaican beach would be wonderful. As we did before our Vegas vacation (sounds like a movie!), we will be checking Trip Advisor for helpful hints.

Thanks again!

PF

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Cruise Ship!

Ocho Rios and Montego Bay are the ports of call for the cruise ships. However, they are only inprt on certain days of the week. If you don't want to even see one at all, look at Negril or any other city other than those two. Even those two cities, depending on where you are staying, you may not even see the ships.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Cruise Ship!

90% of the the hotels/resorts in Negril are on the 7 mile beach. They all perform weddings, the higher priced all inclusives usually include a free basic wedding.. You will not see a cruise ship if you are in Negril

Ashland, KY
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: No Cruise Ship!

As always the fine folks on Trip Advisor have bailed me out! Thanks to all!

PF

Bourbon, Indiana
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No Cruise Ship!

We stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean. While there is a port in Montego Bay, we never saw a ship. I think the ships were in port on Wednesday and we avoided going to town on that day. There is a Riu resort next door - doesn't look as nice as SRC - but i doubt you could see a ship from there. I'm not sure about Sandal's MoBay. I never saw any but we spent most of our time at SRC.

Here's the catcher, most resorts sell day passes and people will by them to use the facilities. I saw a total of 4 Carnival towels on the beach but I was aware that there were non-resort guests as Sandals is a couples only resort and there were a couple groups of girls that sat on the beach all day drinking until they were stupid, being loud, and kind of taking away from the atmosphere of SRC.