We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report.. Rocklands bird sanctuary

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
trip report.. Rocklands bird sanctuary

Hadnt planned to go here initially but decided to stop here on route to negril so the family could experince feeding the hummingbirds..

we went here last march and there were lots of hummingbirds and other varieites..

this time there were only a few which is a shame as they did not expereince waht we had..It was a long time before one perched on my duaghters finger to drink from the sugared water feeding bottle..my mum in law never got one...there were couple birds who ate the seed off her lap though..

Reason for this was it is mating season and the birds are nesting. The guide said theyw ere lazy..Also i noted that it could have been the time of day as they are more active in the mornings.we had arrived there around midday..

On our last visit it was fab and we were inunadated with the hummingbirds, this time for me disappointment that the family never expereinced the same but at least a couple came..had to wait a long time for this.

Cost was $15 each do negotiatie though as he gave us a discount as we have been before and have recomnended people go there..

we didnt get time to look around the grounds this time as we had to continue on our journey..

the grounds are beautiful and the guide will tell you lots about the house and history surrounding it.

Rocklands bird sanctuary is situated in anchovy just outside of montego bay.It is up a narrow road, which is steep in parts. To get here you would have to go with a private driver as coaches would not make it up the road..

I will post some photos soon.

worth a visit if you like birds..

County Durham
Level Contributor
824 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report.. Rocklands bird sanctuary

I am sorry your family did not get to experience the full magic of Rocklands. Thank you for posting a heads up for people thinking of going at this time of year. For me, Rocklands is still my favourite place that I have visited on the island.

:D

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report.. Rocklands bird sanctuary

Sorry that your family didn’t get the kind of experience that you had; disappointing for all of you. I hope the rest of your trip had plenty of highlights. It’s worth knowing about the mating season, did your guide tell you when it runs, and was he Fritz? Although a quiet man, he knows his birds. US$15 is not a bad price, I’ve heard US$20 being charged this past few months. For anyone that loves birds, Rocklands usually gives a wonderful experience, I can understand you wanting take people there Taz.

Timing is often so important. Black River is similar to Rocklands in that if you go in the mating season, there are far less crocodile sightings. Well, would you do it in public with tourists coming to watch you? :-) The YS Falls don’t look half as pretty after heavy rain and the water is a muddy colour. And of course, the recommendation for Dunn’s River Falls has long been ‘go early or on a day that there’s no cruise ship in port’! I know little about Spring Break, But advice seems to be avoid that time, unless you want to participate. I do know that I’m far too old for Spring Break.

My best Rocklands picture:

…webshots.com/photo/2578045320085973928ZxWyja

I got lots of compliments about that and sold quite a few prints in frames.

The cutest Rocklands shot:

…webshots.com/photo/2499340710085973928CddGNI

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report.. Rocklands bird sanctuary

violet

it is one of my favourite places too..

JAsoldier

you made me laugh about not wanting to do mating in public...quite right..

always think your photos are fab and shows the wonder of the place..

will always recomend people go there..

It was fritz and he didnt say about it been mating season untill we asked why not many birds around..this was after about 20mins sitting..

I would have liked the family to have seen the gorunds too..so best to go to this place on its own and not incorporate with another trip..that way you can stay as long as you like there..

4. Re: trip report.. Rocklands bird sanctuary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 06:16