We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which section of jamaica to stay in???

NJ
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Topic
which section of jamaica to stay in???

My bf and I have decided to take a trip to Jamaica. We want to do all of the typical touristy things: take a tour, Dunn's River, bobsledding, maybe dolphins, etc... We were also hoping for a nice beach and an all-inclusive. I have been reading about the hotels and am even more confused. My 2 major questions would be...

1. Which section of Jamiaca would be best for us to stay in to do all of those things?

2. Is it possible to stay in one area for a few nights and then a different area for the other nights? Is it safe to travel between areas?

3. How do people get to all of the tourist attractions? I'm reading that renting a car is NOT a good idea.

THANKS SOOO MUCH!!!!!

NJ
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: which section of jamaica to stay in???

I would also say we would probably want the section with the nicest beaches! thanks again for all the help!

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which section of jamaica to stay in???

Best beach and Dunn's, dolphins, bobsledding, etc. don't really go together.

The former is Negril (for the most part) and the latter is Ocho Rios (for the most part).

An interesting option might be Breezes Runaway Bay. Really nice beach (not Negril nice, but really good for the North Coast) and 30 minutes from Ocho Rios.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which section of jamaica to stay in???

I agree that Breezes Runaway Bay is a very good option for you. I stayed there years ago for my first trip to the island and it is there that I fell in love with Jamaica.

While the beach at BRB is not a long as Negril's 7 Mile Beach, the area at BRB certainly is beautiful - just smaller. And it is closer to the activities you mentioned. BRB is on the north coast of the island.

The nicest, longest beach would be in Negril and you might want to have a look at the Grand Pineapple, one of the Sandals or Couples. Of course there are lots of activities in and near Negril as well. Negril is about 90 minutes from MoBay, on the west coast.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Germantown, MD
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which section of jamaica to stay in???

Hi Kak2836,

1. Best place to stay: Negril. Specifically, I think you and your boyfriend would enjoy Couples Swept Away or Couples Negril. Both properties are great all inclusives with great beaches and top notch amenities (Swept Away sits on Negril's 7 mile beach). Breezes Runaway Bay is also an excellent choice, but Runaway Bay is more isolated than Negril which is a little beach town. Also, Negril has both beach and cliffs. Both Runaway Bay and Negril are nearly equidistant to dolphin swimming and Dunns River Falls - but Runaway Bay is closer to Mystic Mountain (bobsledding), whereas Negril is closer to YS Falls (another spectacular, less touristy set of 7 waterfalls and pools).

2. Traveling between areas: I think this is a great idea, but maybe not for your first visit. My first trip to Jamaica, I split my time between Negril and Runaway Bay - so glad I did, but wow was the drive long! There are pros and cons in terms of splitting your time between areas - you get a great taste of the many experiences Jamaica has to offer, but you have to spend time driving. I personally love to drive in Jamaica - where else do you have mountains on one side and the sparkling sea on the other? Also it is safe to travel between areas, but I would suggest arranging a transfer if you decide to visit 2 destinations. Which brings me to your last question...

3. Getting around to tourist attractions, and how to travel between destinations in Jamaica: use a local tour operator that can provide you with transportation and a guide. This way you can relax while you are driven around. Tours cost approximately $60+/pp, depending on the tour and where you are staying (dolphin swim is usually the most expensive). Renting a car is so much fun - I've done it many times, but I would suggest for your first trip to Jamaica to go with transfers and tours via a local tour operator. By the way, I'm a woman and have driven many places on my own in Jamaica and never once felt scared or like I was in danger.

I hope this helps! I love Jamaica and have traveled the island extensively because I work for a travel company, so I'm always excited to share my experiences. Have a wonderful trip to Jamaica!!

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Runaway Bay
Runaway Bay
40 Reviews
Jamaica
jamaica
Level Contributor
950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: which section of jamaica to stay in???

Runaway Bay is from 20 to 30 min. from Ochie.....Negril is at least an hour & 1/2 to 2 hrs......unless you know about a short cut that I don't know about!

Mentioned in this post
Runaway Bay
Runaway Bay
40 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
jamaica
Level Contributor
950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: which section of jamaica to stay in???

Runaway Bay is 20-30 min. from Ochie.....Negril is at least 1 1/2 hr.-2 hrs.....unless you know about a short cut that I don't know about!

Mentioned in this post
Runaway Bay
Runaway Bay
40 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which section of jamaica to stay in???

Haha...yeah.

Equidistant? Not even close....unless 2.5-3 hours is equal to 30 minutes.

KMK83
Level Contributor
605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which section of jamaica to stay in???

The Couples resorts have properties both in Negril and Ocho Rios. You could try contacting them for advice on splitting your trip between the two destinations.

It's a long shot, but maybe they will provide transportation or can recommend a company/set it up for you.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which section of jamaica to stay in???

Hey Easton / Bill dont you give the definition with your big words?

lol thanks did you always want to be a teacher?

NJ
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: which section of jamaica to stay in???

Thank u everyone for the great information and ideas! I will surely be doing lots of research in the days to come!! I truly appreciate every response! Thanks again!