We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about getting this shot before we go to Jamaica? Should we or shouln't we even bother?

Brampton
Level Contributor
638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

Well, lets see.

The average flu kills 500,000 people yearly.

This “ fast killing, stronger, swine flu” has killed 6000 world wide.

I don’t know about anybody else, but the numbers don’t add up for me.

I’m going with a big fat NO to the vaccine.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

i was of the same mindset until a few people i know who work in the front line flu clinics opened my eyes... they say the "normal flu" numbers are "estimates" and take into account ppl who die of say heart attacks after having the flu, while the h1n1 flu death is deaths that are directly attributed to h1n1 diagnosis (which is less than 10% of the flu numbers)... i read an article that explained it better than that... i'll see if i can link it...

cp24.com/servlet/…

but anyways, they say that they are seeing so many more ER cases directly related to this flu and much earlier in the season... my doctor said she doesn't usually push the vaccinations, but calls this one "scary"... i've never gotten a flu shot in my life and i got this one... was paranoid of getting sick post vaccination, but it seemed to only hurt my arm for a couple days...

but i digress.. H1n1 is not nearly as problematic in jamaica as it is in canada at this point in time (that i'm aware of), so i'd say if you're getting the vaccination, do so for protection at home... not in ja... (of course, this could change quickly, and in a country where vaccination and anti-virals might not be widely available, well i'd rather have a little peace of mind)...

that's my take on it...

Chelle

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

Getting our jabs next Tuesday, NOT because we are going to Jamaica but because we are classed as in an 'at risk' group and have been advised to have it. I always said I wouldn't get the jab but nurse changed my mind and had to book the next available clinic which is next week.

london
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

obviously a personal choice. im recovering from the dreaded swine at the moment and have to say that although it spreads incredibly quickly 2-5 day incubation for me it as 3 days. the reason I know exact date, my grandson was admitted to hosp on wed I was with him from admission and became infected on sat I have to say that although unpleasant not as bad as the two times Ive had reg seasonal flu. also remember that it has mutated and you will only be protected against the first H1N1 strain the second strain is resistant to tamiflu Im number 5 casualty in our family it seems to run its course within 7 days and the worst effect is the shortness of breath, and the sickness and diah... which is particularly horrid. but we are all on the road to recovery and my grandson who has serious underlying health issues had 48 scary hours and bounced back quicker than the rest of us, just make sure you take meds with you Beechams flu capsules are effective if you dont have tamiflu.Im leaving for jam next sat and will be taking a couple of packs of Beechams with me incase I catch a second dose on the flight.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

When we were there last May, H1N1 hadn't reached Jamaica yet (don't know if this is still the case). We were given special cards indicating that we were from an H1N1 affected area. We were supposed to present the cards if we came down with flu like symptoms... I assume so we could be quarantined. But, of course, we didn't get sick.

Still, the thought of being sick and/or quarantined on vacation is pretty unpleasant. So, yeah, I'd say get vaccinated if you can.

We're heading back next week. I got my regular seasonal flu vaccine, and would have probably gotten the H1N1 vaccine if it had been available, simply because I don't want to catch anything at home and take it on vacation with me.

Inuvik, Canada
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

I will start by saying I have never gotten the flu shot before and was not rushing out to get it a month ago before we left on vacation. I was not worried about getting H1N1 in Jamaica, but it was and still is running rambit here in Newfoundland and other parts of Canada. Everyone knows two or three people in their family mine included, that have been hospitalized and have come very close to dieing from the virus.

We just got back from Jamaica yesterday and got JABED last evening. Long line up and thats after we had already gotten our #/ticket at noon. 37 million people (Canadian's) to inoculate is a lot of people. They were trying to do 250 an hour at the center we went to. Today was even worse the tickets had all been given out within 2 hours of opening the clinic.

I am not feeling to great today. I feel like I have a slight case of the flu, I should be fine by tomorrow. Here's hoping. I am just glad myself or my husband did not get it before we left since we were both surrounded by it at work the week before we left.

Carolyn

windsor ontario
Level Contributor
885 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

I am in Ja now and I havnt heard a word about the flu since I have been here. Any health care workers I have talked to say they would not get it.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

Thanks for your input everyone...Just makes me wonder because most of these viruses mutate so who knows how well you will be protected once you do get the shot...

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

Talk to your dr before making a decision on the shot. Also, you probably have the greatest chance of getting infected at the airport on your way to Jamaica (people could be infectious on the plane). Just do your best to wash hands and don't touch your face, eyes or mouth when in the airport and on the plane.

Don't know if this is true, but a relative said if you gargle with Listerine regularly, it helps kill the germs in the mouth.

10. Re: H1N1 vaccination b4 we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2010, 06:17