We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

Hi everyone, this is my first time on the forum. We are a family from Australia and will be flying to the USA in December.

We are thinking of having a 5 night stay in Jamaica after NYC. I would love some advice.

We will be in NYC in December, not sure of the dates but we are looking at Negril from 8th of December for 5 nights or December 22nd for 5 nights.

My children are 18 and 22, and I would love to know if Negril is the best place to go. We love resting, the beach and swimming. Any suggestions where to go for first timers and where to stay would be great

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
mississippi
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

Negril is the best place to stay, in my opinion. There are all kinds of places, from budget to luxury, so it would be hard to recommend a place without knowing a little more.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

do understand that the price will likely near triple between the two dates you have selected... December 8 is low season, December 22nd is the peak of the busy season (christmas)... also, if you are set on traveling over christmas, i suggest booking sooner rather than later to have your choice of accomodations...

Enjoy

Chelle

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

Negril is the place and there is a large variety of places to stay.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

Have a look at

www.negrilinfo.com

www.negrilonestop.com

www.travel2negril.com

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

WELCOME to the forum!

Sounds like you will have a wonderful time in the States and Jamaica. We live in Delaware, not to far from NYC, about 3 hours. My dream is traveling to Australia one day ;)

Jamaica is grand! We just returned on Wednesday from a 2 week stay. Negril is our favorite area as well. Are you looking for an all inclusive resort or a pay as you go? Breezes Grand is a nice AI and is on the top end (price) there is also Beaches which is more family oriented.

You also have Grand Pineapple which is much smaller but still an AI and much less expensive.

We always go AI so that is pretty much what I can advise you on. Others will chime in on just hotels I'm sure.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

Plane fare the end of dec may be higher than the beginning. I would price out the fares and go from there. Also, beginning of dec may give you a better deal as far as accomodations in Jamaica (I suggest an all inclusive).

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

thank you very much for your kind replies.

Looking at the airfares and hotel prices the 22nd of december is out.

So this is what we have decided

9th of December JFK to Montego Bay. We would like to spend the whole time in Negril, but cannot get RockHouse for the entire 5 nights. So have decided to do Ocho Rios for 2 nights at the Jamaica Inn(if we can get a good deal) and then 3 nights in Negril at RockHouse.

What are your thoughts on this?

ps. frodobagginskennedy please come to Australia. You would love it, very laid back, great people and lovely places to visit, both beach and bush.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

I do not think you will have enough time to get comfortable in Ocho Rios and Negril so I would spend the 5 days in Negril. Good luck.

Edited: 10 May 2010, 12:35
Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

each ocho rios and negril are 1.5 hours from the airport in opposite directions... so it'll take you 3 hours to get from one to the other... if you are okay with that then you have chosen two fantastic properties (understand that rockhouse is on the cliffs and you'd need to go down the road for beach access (cliffs have water access, but no beach))

many people enjoy splitting negril trips between beach and cliffs properties...

Chelle

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,662 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of going to Jamaica - first time help please

With only five nights, I think that would be pushing it. You are just going to get settled into one place and then have to move. Granted you will have to do this any how, but a 10 minute move from the cliffs to the beach is better than a three hour transfer. I would suggest spending all your time in Negril. If you were going to be there longer, there would be nothing wrong with Negril and Ocho Rios, but only five nights is a bit too short of time to really enjoy one place or the other.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica