We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i am a tattoo artist from greece...

Thessaloniki, Greece
4 posts
Save Topic
i am a tattoo artist from greece...

we are a couple of tattoo artists from greece and we are planning to come to live in jamaica.. we were thinking of opening a tattoo studio there.. if tattoos are not a part of your culture what can somebody like me do for living??????

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: i am a tattoo artist from greece...

Earn interest off your trust fund?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: i am a tattoo artist from greece...

You are planning to live in Jamaica and yet from reading your question it seems that you have never been there. Good luck with that.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
883 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: i am a tattoo artist from greece...

There was a good thread a couple months ago that discussed how difficult it would be to move to Jamaica. Even those that have spent years of their lives visiting the island would recommend against it. If your skill set does not include anything more than tattoo artistry, my guess it that it would be almost impossible for you to make a living there.

I hate being a party-pooper, but if you're not on a resort, Jamaica is probably not the island paradise you're envisioning.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: i am a tattoo artist from greece...

One of your countrymen just opened up a greek restaurant (Mykonos) in Ocho Rios a couple of months ago, so gyros are now available on the island !

I know they exist but I am not sure of the prosperity or demand of the tattoo parlours in Jamaica.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: i am a tattoo artist from greece...

Here's the links on previous posts about moving to Jamaica...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k16124…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147317-i178-k1421…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147309-i69-k14171…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: i am a tattoo artist from greece...

I don't know if you can define tattoos as being part of the "Jamaican culture" per se, but they are a huge part of the young adult subculture. That said, YES, tattoos are very popular with young adults in Jamaica! Go to any party or concert.......and see that almost EVERYONE in the 18-25 age bracket has them. I know every time I go to Jamaica, people (tends to be the age range I mentioned above) always admire and comment on mine. This is just one demographic--I'm not sure if tattoos are as popular in other age ranges, but I'd assume not. I can't answer if you will be able to make a living off of tattoo artistry there, but after more research, I'm sure you'll be able to answer that yourself! Good luck! =)

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: i am a tattoo artist from greece...

Just a reference point - two identical tattoos, one done in Jamaica, one in the US - the Jamaican one cost about $11 - the American one cost $200 -

Don't think it would be an easy way to make a living, if you could even legally open a shop there.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: i am a tattoo artist from greece...

A question that comes to mind is why on earth would anyone want to leave Greece to live in Jamaica when Greece has all of the amazing islands as well as the mainland coast? Keep in mind too that the OP just joined today. One of those things that makes you go hmmm.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: i am a tattoo artist from greece...

You're telling me I could get a tattoo done in Jamaica for $11? Where? I might be game.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: i am a tattoo artist from greece...

LOL, having seen it first hand, I wouldn't recommend it - Cheap does not equal good - if I am going to suffer the pain, I want one that will last and is of quality - the American tattoo is much better looking ;)