We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/Accommodation in St Thomas

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Hotel/Accommodation in St Thomas

Any suggestions?

Found one worth looking into - Golden Shore but would like to get an idea of others...preferably near the beach somewhere.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,916 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel/Accommodation in St Thomas

Golden Shores is quite nice, I visited it for an hour or so passing through the area and would definitely stay there. It's right on a very nice beach, modern rooms, bar by the sea.

Fellow TA'er Easton posted this great pic of the beach recently:

…photobucket.com/albums/…38.jpg

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel/Accommodation in St Thomas

there's another guest house just down the road from golden shore, i forget the name... i *think* it had caribbean in the name? if i remember i'll post it... there's also morant villas (i don't think they have a swimable beachfront)

http://morantvillasja.com/

other than that i think most accomodations in St Thomas are much more low key guest houses that are "word of mouth" type place, or more mountain-setting locations (i've stayed at the bath hotel, and while very basic, it does have a charm to it)... there's also a few options that are along the route of the blue mountain peak climb...

i agree with liz, if you're looking for beach accomodations with some semblance of a full-service hotel, golden shores is your best bet...

enjoy... i find st thomas is a unique and special place, i don't remember ever really wanting to find myself there, and end up not wanting to leave when it's time to go..

Chelle

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,916 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel/Accommodation in St Thomas

People have said good things about Whispering Bamboo Cove to me, but i haven't seen it personally:

http://www.discoverjamaica.com/whisper.html

London, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel/Accommodation in St Thomas

Thanks Guys,

Yeah I used to go with my partner when he used to work over that side. I like the fact it still seems a lil undiscovered!

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel/Accommodation in St Thomas

Yes it’s true; accommodation is somewhat limited in St Thomas.

With regards quality, I would put the four options that I’ve seen in this order:

Golden Shore Resort – best option.

Whispering Bamboo – close to Golden Shore (what Chell was thinking of?)

Morant Villas (a hotel) Basic but OK, not far from the public beach at Morant Bay

Bath Fountain Hotel. Not near a beach. Also basic, as mentioned in a previous post.

marley2008
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel/Accommodation in St Thomas

Hiya we recently stayed at the golden shore and I have copied my review for you

The Good

We stayed in a superior room and the view of the sea from our balcony was amazing. This was a pleasure in the morning to wake up and sit and admire the view. The bed was very big and comfortable. The room was a very good size.

The food from this resort was one the best that we ate from the island. The kitchen staff definitely knows how to please their customers and the price was very reasonable.

The locals outside the resort were very friendly and although the hotel is situated at the end of a very quiet road, we would often walk to the local shop and never felt intimidated.

The hotel is used by Jamaicans from other parts of the island and again all were friendly and polite.

The bar area is a big plus for the hotel and is situated right next to the beach. Andrea (one of the bar staff) was very friendly and a nice face to have around on your holiday.

The Bad points

The rooms are not cleaned thoroughly for example

: The table cloth on the table in our room was not changed for the whole two weeks, despite tea / coffee stains.

: The floor in the bedroom and bathroom was not mopped everyday, whilst they did at least sweep up, the floor was stained and dirty.

: The bathroom shower curtain had some previous stains on and should have been replaced.

: The bathroom mat was grubby and this again was not cleaned everyday.

: The air con was not that powerful and needed to be stayed on all day and night to keep the room reasonably cold. However at night the noise from the air con, if you are a light sleeper could keep you awake. Shame the room did not have the same model air con as the reception.

: The chairs in the room were grubby / stained.

: The hotel only accepts cash to pay for accommodation, meals and drinks

I know you are probably thinking why didn’t you ask to change rooms, but we had the room with the best view and that wasn’t worth comprising on. I just walked round the room in my slippers and didn’t use the chairs,

Overall the owner Mr Hamilton needs to employ cleaners to clean the rooms thoroughly and not use his kitchen staff to clean the room as this was clearly not the thing that they excelled in. I would also suggest he either gets new chairs or gets the existing ones professionally cleaned.

The hotel was very reasonable priced, the majority of the staff were friendly and helpful and we think that the website pictures are an actuate reflection of the beautiful surroundings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel/Accommodation in St Thomas

I stayed at whispring bamboo cove and my review is number 3 in the reviews here: tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

The beach wasn't that great but it was very choppy and windy when I was there.

We did take al look at the Golden Shore before deciding on Whispering Bamboo Cove and remember that although the beach was better at Golden Shore the rooms were not as nice at those at WBC. As JA Soldier has put Shore it at the top of his list I'm thinking that perhaps the best rooms were occupied at the time. I prefer to give the the benefit of the doubt when I'm not absolutely sure.

Think of a very quiet suburban avenue and you'll get an idea of the "atmosphere" at both Golden Shore and WBC.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel/Accommodation in St Thomas

Interesting on Whispering Bamboo.

I spent just over a month in St. Thomas parish starting early January 2003 with a group remodeling and enlarging a primary school in Hampton Court.

We stayed at Golden Shore and, I have to say, I didn't really have any complaints. The meals our group ate there were very good (I even got to help in the kitchen a few times). The bar and the bartender were nice (our group even paid for the bartender to stay many nights later than normal since we worked long hard days, got back for a late dinner, and then wanted to relax. The beach was surprisingly awesome. The scenery was great. The sand was coarse and there was a small drop off a few feet into the water that took some getting used to but, in general, it was a really nice place - especially seeing as we signed up for the project under the expectation that our accommodations would be rustic at best. Golden Shore was far better than that.

We did drive by Whispering Bamboo a couple times and it looked empty and unkept each time. Things must be better there now.

9. Re: Hotel/Accommodation in St Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2011, 07:16