We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is sandals gay friendly?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
is sandals gay friendly?

My friend and her partner are getting married in July, she wants to go to one of the sandals resorts in Jamaica for their honeymoon but I told her I didn't think they were very accomidating to anyone but straight couples. Hopefully I'm wrong... any input?

MN
Level Contributor
912 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is sandals gay friendly?

Jamaica as a whole is a pretty homophobic country.. (I do think they take more kindly to gay women then gay men)

Sandals is open and accomodating to all couples, however it is only in the last few years that they did allow same sex couples at the resorts.. I remember when they used to advertise on the website using the words "heterosexual couples"..

In my many trips to SGOR I have encountered several same sex couples and never saw that they were being treated poorly by the staff or other guests..

I would suggest though that if they venture off of the resort property that they keep the PDA in check...

Hope that helps some...

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is sandals gay friendly?

thanks! I will pass this advice along.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is sandals gay friendly?

Also, I know that Couples is gay friendly as well.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is sandals gay friendly?

just because the resorts say they are gay friendly doesn't mean all the employees are tollerant! and here is one persons perspective from their trip

tripadvisor.com/…UR74192523

Edited: 27 October 2010, 20:27
Indiana
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is sandals gay friendly?

If I were giving advice to a gay friend regarding his/her honeymoon, I would tell them to pick another destination.

Jamaica's intolerance is an issue with me.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is sandals gay friendly?

thanks everyone! My friends have never been out of the U.S. and only out of their state maybe once or twice and I believe that they think everywhere is as tollerant as where they live. I have voiced my concerns but ultimately it is their decision, I just want them to be educated so that they may travel safely.

thanks for all of your input.

Towson, Maryland
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: is sandals gay friendly?

My girlfriend and I (2 professionals) have a PIF trip to SRC April 2011 - I am just reading issues with SRI - -we had no clue we would encounter this and just today, stumble across 'possible' issues we may encounter with Sandals and 2 woman vacationing as a couple.

Can anyone please confirm or deny if we will be treated in a negative manner? Our trip is 47 days away and we are able to cancel with no penalty prior ot 45 days...

PLEASE HELP if you have exact info... I cannot get anyone from the resort to give an honest opinion...

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is sandals gay friendly?

I have seen same sex couple at every Sandals property in Jamaica and they seemed to be enjoying their vacation every bit as much as every other couple there. The staff will treat you with nothing but respect and kindness since they want to keep their jobs. But as mentioned before, keep the pda to a minimum off resort, as Jamaica is a very homophobic island. Not uncommon in the caribbean.

United States
Level Contributor
11,096 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is sandals gay friendly?

Jamaica has been voted as the most homophobic Caribbean country by many LGTBQ rights group. In the world only Iran appears to be a more homophobic nation. At any of the major resorts there should be few if any problems for same sex 'friends' staying there. Open displays of affection should be avoided anywhere in Jamaica.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is sandals gay friendly?

If you are able to cancel or switch without penalty, I would definitely consider it - As previously stated, Jamaica can be a very homophobic society - And I would not want to vacation to a place where I could not be myself and enjoy my love -

I would look into other islands, like Barbados or Belize, where's it's more accepted.

Not saying that you won't have a great time in JA - but there is always the possibility. I have seen some signs of changing attitudes towards the gay community, but not enough for me to personally feel it was worth it. I have many friends that ask me about trips there - I have advised them to look elsewhere.