We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digcel Cards

London, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Digcel Cards

I am from the uk, I have been given a digcel card last time it was used was June2010.

I will have my BB, and aslo unlocked phone, but won't be using my bb just to see who is ringing.

Also what about the uk ringing to the digcel how much is it per minute.

Can I still use it?

How do I top it up?

Also have have read about the 1000 minutes international call plan, can you use that to ring digcel in Jamaica and also mobiles in the uk.

Or is it just for ladlines in the uk.

What is the price to top up the card?

Thanks for all your help as I am leaving this Sunday.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Digcel Cards

I'm from the US and have a digicell that I purchased in Negril. The minutes

expire after a month or so of non use, so expect to have them bumped

up once your in Jamaica. I think It was like $15 US dollars for several

h0undred internation minutes. (you could call anywhere to any type phone).

I was at Breezes Grand and just got a cab to the nearest gas station

and had it done. no problem !!

McDonough, Georgia
Level Contributor
728 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Digcel Cards

You may have to get a new sim card, depending on the amount of time it has been inactive.

I have a digicel card, but I have to top it up online ever so often so that my number don't become inactive.

Digicel has a website that lets you top up online and it gives you more indepth answers to your questions.

You can google digicel Jamaica and it will give you the link to the website.

Hope this helps.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Digcel Cards

it's unlikely that the digi SIM will still be active, but it depends on when and how much credit it was last topped up with...

UK to JA rates are widely varied depending on provider... my hubby had some free international minutes with O2 and used lycra (i think that's what it was called lol) to minimize costs.... can't remember what the rate was? 4p per min? don't quote that!

if the SIM is still valid, you can top it up by buying credit and following the instructions on the card (or topping up online as mentioned)

the 1000 minutes for 1000J are strictly international minutes to any US, Canada line and UK landlines (and a few other places that i forget).... the minutes cannot be used for local (jamaica) calls...

top up cards are available from 50J (i think) and up (plus tax), 100, 200, 500 (and i think 1000J cards are available)... credit can be added in lower or different denominations by going to a place that has a machine, online, or sending from another phone... if you are buying the top up cards from resellers, there is markup to consider as well...

hope that helps

Chelle

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Digcel Cards

You can put the Digicel SIM in an unlocked ’phone while in the UK. It should link to Digicel via the strongest signal of a UK network. If it doesn’t link immediately, move around until it does. Then you can credit check the SIM by sending *120*. Alternatively, try register the card for Digicel Webtext online here:

webtext.digicelgroup.com/loginForm.do…

If the SIM is dead the registration attempt will advise you.

Should you need a new Digicel SIM you need ID and it will cost $550 plus 17½% tax.

The International Plan costs $1175 for 1000 minutes to UK landlines only. Calls to phones in Ja cost about $17pm but are accounted for separately to the Int'l Plan on your phone.

If your SIM is live you could top up on line on the day you leave or immediately you arrive. Make the amount at least $1000 and then you can register for International Plan and still have at least $1000 credit for Digicel to Digicel calls in Ja. That’s providing the double credit offer is still live – but it has been for almost all of this year.

5. Re: Digcel Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2011, 06:17