We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spraying Inside The Plane?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Spraying Inside The Plane?

I just spoke to a friend that was in Jamaica for New Years. She told me their plane was sprayed inside as soon as they arrived at Sangster Airport. Eveyone was coughing and gagging. Has anyone heard of this? They flew Thomas Cook from Toronto.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Spraying Inside The Plane?

Maybe it's bed bug spray :-)

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spraying Inside The Plane?

Nothing for us last Monday flying Continental from Newark, NJ.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spraying Inside The Plane?

I wonder if it was that mist that sometimes comes out of the vents due to the AC system and humidity on the ground??

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spraying Inside The Plane?

Perhaps but is this something new?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
223 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spraying Inside The Plane?

This has happened on a few flights I've taken to/in African countries. I never witnessed people coughing and gagging, but it was shocking the first time I saw it. I feel like on at least one of the flights, they did announce that they'd be spraying and what they would be spraying, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was!

Edited: 10 January 2011, 21:46
Maryland
Level Contributor
988 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spraying Inside The Plane?

Cebakes, I think that is what it was. They sometimes make an announcement to allay peoples' concerns.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spraying Inside The Plane?

It was definately a spray of some sort. She overheard the flight attendant being asked if the plane had been sprayed yet.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Spraying Inside The Plane?

Aircraft are just like any other place that has food in it, they attract bugs and require applications of insecticide. On a domestic flight, this is done once in awhile when the aircraft goes in for maintenance, however, on customs flights there is always concern over what types of harmful insects may be carried into the country. This is the same reason its illegal to carry certain plants, fruits, or soil even across state lines, let alone international boarders. Nothing really unusual about it, simply a precaution to keep out alien species & of course those nasty roaches

Yvr
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spraying Inside The Plane?

We flew Air Canada to Jamaica from Vancouver BC and just before landing they announced that they were spraying the plane and had to as a request from Jamaican authorities. Once we got off I saw a guy with a bag full of small tin canisters that had been used - not sure if all on our plane?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spraying Inside The Plane?

I've been on two Air Canada flights that were "sprayed", both times it was at the height of the H1N1 scare. I think the new flu is H3N2 this year.

As an aside, I've read that because of the "hysteria" created by the various health organizations about H1N1 (WHO and the CDC), which never really was an issue, many people have foregone a flu vaccination this year...resulting in an increase in cases this year.