We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new favorite rum

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
new favorite rum

Appleton Reserve - tastes great and is amazingly smooth - www.appletonestate.com/the-spirits/reserve/

McDonough, Georgia
Level Contributor
728 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new favorite rum

Cool...I might have to test it out.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,650 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new favorite rum

Reserve is excellent (and very reasonable in Jamaica)...as is Extra and MBL.

Hard to go wrong with anything Appleton V/X and up....but I would never mix anything higher than V/X.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new favorite rum

Reserve is great straight up or on the rocks. I suppose it is bit of a waste, but it also tastes amazing mixed with Coke, however the best rum to mix with Coke, that I've tasted, is Goslings Bermuda Black Seal Rum.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,650 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new favorite rum

My preferred Rum and Cola is W&N Overproof White and Jamaican Pepsi (made with real sugar)!!!

;)

I still have some Appleton Extra at home. Awesome stuff.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new favorite rum

Extra is significantly better (smoother) than the Reserve and at around J$2000 inc tax for 1 litre it's a bargain. Reserve is OK as a mixer but I wouldn't recommend it for sipping.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new favorite rum

I wish I could get Extra that cheap - Reserve is normally $30CDN here in TO, this week only - on sale for the bargain price of $24CDN for a 750ml bottle

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,650 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: new favorite rum

I agree, JASolder (except that I think Reserve is fine for sipping...Extra and MBL are just better).

And, given that the price is so similar in Jamaica, I would always choose Extra - except...if they were out of Extra (and didn't carry any better...as happened on our last trip), I had to settle for Reserve.

I usually bring home two liters of Extra and two of white rum every trip.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new favorite rum

In the UK rum costs at least double what it does in Ja, mainly because of high taxation. I wouldn't consider buying quality rum at those high prices. I only purchase in Ja. where rum is very affordable.

An 'alternative style' rum worth trying is Myers's. It is made in Jamaica, but the Myers company is now based in The Bahamas (or some such place). It's a smooth, rich, sweet brown rum. No point in describing really - you have to taste it for yourself.

Harbor Springs...
Level Contributor
28 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: new favorite rum

We are strictly Mount Gay Rum drinkers. Never had Appleton's Rum, anyone know how it compares to Mount Gay? We like the smooth spice of Mount Gay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new favorite rum

JAsoldier,

I have to disagree with you about Myers's. It must be one of the worst rums I've ever tasted. Interestingly, hardly anybody in Jamaica drinks it.