We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montego bay or ocho rios Hilton Rose Hall or Sunset Grande?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
312 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
montego bay or ocho rios Hilton Rose Hall or Sunset Grande?

We would like to stay in Ocho Rios but the only hotel within our price range is the Sunset Grande and the reviews, which I usually take with a grain of salt, are scaring me off. We could stay in Hilton Rose Hall in Montego Bay but is it far to travel on tours such as Dunn's River,Mystic Mountain? We also like to go out and in the evenings and look around like we do in Playa Del Carmen. So do I bite the bullet and stay at the Sunset Grande or stay in Montego Bay? Sorry for the long post but this is first trip to Jamaica and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hilton Rose Hall Resort...
3,754 Reviews
Jamaica
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: montego bay or ocho rios Hilton Rose Hall or Sunset Grande?

I have been to the SJG when the reviews were all over the place. I would never trade the easy access to town for the long ride from Montego Bay or the so-called laid back vibe of Negril. I have also been to Playa Del Carmen and like Ocho Rios preferred the option of making quick and easy trips away from the resort.

It's hard to ignore the bad reviews but easy to dismiss the good ones:-) Reading reviews sometimes cause you to worry about things that you otherwise would not care about. I stressed once after reading there was no top shelf liquor at a resort. Then I realized I don't care which shelf the liquor came from, as long as it's served to me with a smile:-)

Edited: 29 January 2011, 04:51
Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios
Jamaica
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: montego bay or ocho rios Hilton Rose Hall or Sunset Grande?

Rose hall offers next to nothing in the form of off site evening action unless you take a taxi to Montego bay(15ish minutes away)...

Rose hall would be my choice of accommodations, ocho rios my choice of spots to be in the mix.......

Chelle

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
312 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: montego bay or ocho rios Hilton Rose Hall or Sunset Grande?

Thank-you for the replies. I went ahead and booked the Sunset Jamaica Grande and we are looking forward to our first trip to Jamaica.

Mentioned in this post
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
2,893 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
4. Re: montego bay or ocho rios Hilton Rose Hall or Sunset Grande?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2012, 16:16