We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animals?

Ozark
5 posts
Save Topic
Animals?

I'm wondering what the stray dog and cat population is like in Jamaica..... As well as the treatment of animals in general.

Can anyone offer insight?

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Animals?

facebook.com/pages/…30825120519

Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Animals?

PM' ''animalhousejamaica" or read her posts...its really true!!!!

Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Animals?

The stray animal population in Jamaica and the treatment of anuimals in general are problems we are working on non-stop to alleviate and/or change. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Ozark
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Animals?

Thanks so much for all of your replies.....

Animalhouse, I am asking mainly because my Husband and I do rescue related stuff for dogs here in Alabama.... I know it might not bother a lot of people, but to be honest, I am very worried about going somewhere where strays are all over the place because when I say it KILLS me to be not be able to physically take every one off of the street, I mean it EATS at me. I am so worried about going somewhere where the strays are everywhere or animal abuse is right in front of your face because I know myself and I will be absolutely miserable the whole time I am there. I think your efforts are so wonderful and I will be glad to donate to your cause without any reservation.... I feel awful asking this question, but I just know myself well enough to know that at home, I can at least pick a stray dog up and take it home until I can find a foster for it, whereas in a far away country that is not going to be possible. Thanks again for your time, Melissa

Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Animals?

I understand totally, Melissa, that is why I founded The Animal House Jamaica. I couldn't stand by and not do anything about the problem.

Things are - slowly - getting better and it depends what part of Jamaica you are planning to go to. If you are coming to Ocho Rios things are pretty well under control and Montego Bay is also not bad. Negril has more strays than the north coast. But again, it is better than it used to be and there are several island-wide spay/neuter clinics now taking place annually or bi-annually (we just had one in April and there is one planned for Negril in June).

Animal abuse is not generally visible. Poisoning is the most prevelant form of abuse and this takes place very covertly and in neighborhoods where you are not likely to visit.

As for not being able to take an animal home - if you see an animal here that you want to help, it is easy to take it home with you. Jamaica is rabies-free so there is no quarantine in the US and we do not charge for doing the paperwork and obtaining the necessry documents.

Hope you decide to come:)

Edited: 29 May 2011, 12:27
6. Re: Animals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2012, 06:21