We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Livliest places and safety

portsmouth england
Level Contributor
697 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Livliest places and safety

Hello all

Lokking towards 2012 now (going to Aruba this year)

We enjoy going out and about finding a good bar with live music

A big fan of reggae and ska

So question is which area of Jamaica is best to go for going out and not staying put in the big AI resorts and have heard about it not being safe to wander out and about in Jamaica I lean towards it's an exaggeration but wife is a bit concerened so any tips most welcome

Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Livliest places and safety

If your a big fan of reggae then I suggest you wait till "Sumfest" which is the largest reggae show in Jamaica that takes place in July every year.

Most of the crime in Jamaica is in the capital, Kingston. Yes Jamaica has its problems with crime, but they very very rarely involve tourists nor the tourism parts of Jamaica so you have nothing to worry about.

I suggest you head to Montego Bay to a hotel that is near the city strip which has some of the best clubs, bars, restaurants in Jamaica.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Livliest places and safety

There are many threads on safety you can search on this site. The quick answer is that yes, the majority of crime in Jamaica is local-against-local in areas like Kingston, away from the tourist spots and the tourist, for the most part will not be part of that statistic.

That said, and with the global economy in the pits, don't make yourself a target and be a "smart" traveler using your common sense.

It is wrong to say that it is not safe to leave an AI resort. It is, however, best to cab it at night, especially if you do not know the area.

The type of crimes tourists see (IF and when it does happen) for the most part are robberies.

I think you would enjoy Negril with the long beach, beach bars, restaurants and many activities available. Lots of good hotels too, for many budgets.

There is a nice map of Negril at www.negrilinfo.com, and a great booking agency you can call and speak to someone knowledgeable about Negril - www.negrilonestop.com. There are property videos of the hotels they represent. Most of the hotels on the map have their own websites as well and you can book online with most of them. Expect to pay a 3-night credit card deposit typically, sometimes it is 50% deposit, it just depends.

Edited: 01 June 2011, 15:29
suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Livliest places and safety

I would not advise Sumfest for a first time visitor to the island. I would second the recommendation for Negril - Lots of options for live reggae music, including the Negril Escape Concert Series and Bourbon Beach for bigger named artists, local talent at other spots like Alfreds - Lots of small boutique hotels at a variety of prices up and down the beach, same for dining - Or for a quieter, more romantic feel, the same option is available on the cliffs.

jamaica
Level Contributor
950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Livliest places and safety

I would agree with Suz & Yamangurl....Negril would be the best choice for you to catch some nice reggae music live!....almost everynight, SOMEWHERE in Negril, live music will be playing....some of the spots have been mentioned above. There will be plenty of "lovers rock" with nuff 80's "conscious" music thrown in....ska, not so sure about.

If you can manage the higglers, perfectly safe to walk the beach during the day....I would definately cab it in the wee hours though.....just to be on the safe side.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,593 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Livliest places and safety

I agree with Negril where you can catch live shows to get your music fix and have easy access to everything (great food/beach/excursions). As you plan your trip helpfulf excursion tips will be posted depending on where you stay, for how long you stay and what's going on at that time.

If you are going for longer than a week I suggest you try another place to get a taste of the other side of Jamaica...Little Bay, Belmont, Treasure Beach(within reach of Negril).

Even if you did stay somewhere at an AI (if your wife prefers) there are always great local bars/music spots in the parish which you would enjoy!

PEACE!

portsmouth england
Level Contributor
697 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Livliest places and safety

thanks lots of great info here wil definitely look into Negril

as staying put in an AI for 2 weeks isn't my idea of visditing overseas locations

Edited: 04 June 2011, 09:53
7. Re: Livliest places and safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 14:16