We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to find a family resort that's also peaceful?

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is it possible to find a family resort that's also peaceful?

Hi all,

My husband and I and our 10yo son are looking at Jamaica for our next holiday, coming from Australia.

I'm not sure if we're wanting to have our cake and eat it too, in our resort selection, but any tips would be hugely appreciated!

My son is 10 and would love to find a resort that's a total kid heaven (eg kid activities, facilities, etc). I enjoy tranquil, natural surrounds and the ability to escape the screams of kids when I want. And my husband is a huge fan of reggae music, so he would love to be relatively close to music clubs.

Would I be dreaming to think that it's possible to find a resort that could tick all boxes for the three of us?

Oh yes, and we'd love to be able to hire a nanny for the times we're out at night. Any recommendations there?

Thank you all for your kind help!

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it possible to find a family resort that's also peaceful?

Beaches Negril is as close as you can get. Great for all ages, even dads. Has nannies to sit in with the kids & off resort local entertainment nearby.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it possible to find a family resort that's also peaceful?

Choose your time of travel carefully and that can happen at many of the family resorts. For some of your reasons I travel mid to late June. Many kids are still in school in the US but enough are out to interact with my kids.

Do you have an area in mind, Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios. We love Ocho Rios but Negril has the best stretch of beach on the island.

What you need ideally is a cruise, kids are band from some areas. The kids club is on the top deck, music by the main pool with the aft been secluded and quiet. You could go a week without seeing hubby or kids:-)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it possible to find a family resort that's also peaceful?

Check out Beaches Sandy Bay. It is less expensive than Beaches Negril but you have free access to the facilities at BN during the day with a free shuttle.

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it possible to find a family resort that's also peaceful?

All great tips thank you. Appreciated!

We'll be going mid December (I'm not sure if that falls into the US holiday season??).

Our preference was initially Negril, but I'm happy to check out alternatives. I do quite like the sound of the beaches there. (Though the idea of constantly being hassled by vendors does make me hesitate).

I will also check out both Beaches resorts. We won't mind spending a dollar on this trip as our Aussie dollar is currently doing well (for the first time in many years!). Do you think it would possible for me to find a quiet nook to read my book there - without feeling I'm in Disneyland?

Thanks again everyone!

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it possible to find a family resort that's also peaceful?

I recommended the "larger more updated" Beaches Negril over the Sandy bay property because of such & since you will be coming from so far. But plenty of places quiet at either. It is the best of both worlds for the young & older alike. Neither have to be on top of each other. That said we have gone to Beaches many times & we don't have kids & the ones there never bothered us.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it possible to find a family resort that's also peaceful?

I wouldn't worry about the vendors. All of the large resorts have security that keeps an eye on them and keeps them moving. When we go to Ocho Rios and are on private beaches, we actually miss them!

7. Re: Is it possible to find a family resort that's also peaceful?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 06:17