We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

British Columbia
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

I know tips are "included" in the package and employees are not to except tips. In my previous trips to Sandals and Beaches I have always discreetly given tips to those who I feel really out do themselves. And never has a tip been refused. Recently I have read a few posts where at Beaches Boscobel tips have been refused. Has anyone had any first hand experience with this? I suppose if you were to wave a bill it the air offering it to the employee they would have to pass if it was being done to obvious.

John

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

Hi John

" Recently I have read a few posts where at Beaches Boscobel tips have been refused. Has anyone had any first hand experience with this?"

I have been to Couples and Beaches Boscobel and ALWAYS tipped discretely. I KNOW (through personal contacts) where guests would offer tips then report the employees. The tips WILL BE refused if the employees don't feel a sense of trust. There have been cases where they refused from hubby and took it from me. They are poor not stupid.

How to tip safely at a non tipping establishment.

Step 1 -Build rapport. Get to know the employees name

Step 2-- Before offering cash, offer a warm smile or greeting

Step 3- small talk. By now we are mid-week and willing show appreciation

Step 4 - coming close to leaving, it's time to offer up the gift in a kind embrace or handshake, thanking them for the extra they have done to make your time special. They are going to put it in places I can assure you management can't get to and live to tell about it. This will have almost no effect on service since the gift is towards the end of the stay.

Step 5 - Don't tell anyone on TA unless you are brave or trippin'.

Yes, I know and understand this shows a clear disrespect for the policy and could be considered disgraceful by some or ONE. We have have sinned so go ahead and throw dat stone, babe!

Pauline

Edited: 09 July 2011, 00:02
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

I also tip even though you are not supposed to. Pauline offers some good advice. I've never had a tip refused, but would understand if they said no.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

Wow, now we have the "5 step program for breaking the rules!"

Sounds like way more work than I want to do on vacation.

We always fill out our comment card and name names of those that were extra special. That is what the resort asks of us. We donate to their charity when we are there and participate in their fundraising activities. We bring school supplies and sporting goods for them to pass on to local schools.

We DO NOT put the employees jobs in jeopardy by offering them cash.

Keep tripping Pauline, eventually you will land on your butt.

The "BABE"

Edited: 09 July 2011, 04:05
4. Re: Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 July 2011, 05:32
Edited: 09 July 2011, 05:32
British Columbia
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

I think step 5 in your first reply is clear now Pauline. The issue I have is I know how much money these resorts make and I know how much I make and it really gets to me knowing how little these Jamaicans make, who are busting their butts to make sure I have a great vacation. I understand this is what they signed up for, but it sure doesn't seem fair.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

Marnie

"Keep tripping Pauline, eventually you will land on your butt."

Please get off by AZZZZZZZ, before I land on you. Don't waste your time trying to flame it, it's dark enough already. I answered the OP question as an informed, educated, knowledgeable consumer. From what I noticed you really don't do a whole lot on your vacation or on this forum other than defend a particular resort or knock others based on information or hype posted on websites. Go do your 'thang" and please let me do mine. I share pictures and information based on my knowledge and experience of being raised on the island and my time spent at 5 DIFFERENT resorts over 20 years.

Please note there are steps to:

Getting complimentary Upgrades

Getting most or your entire vacation replaced when things go wrong

Touring resort and seeing the rooms before booking

Getting through Ocho Rios virtually hassle free

Pauline

the pas manitoba
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

Paulines posts are generally very clear! LOL

This topic has been pounded to death - no offense to the poor people who don't realize that! The subject of tipping at certain chains of resorts generally leads to quite a debate.

Frankly, I don't get it. I also do not stay in resorts where I cannot show appreciation for a level of service. Apparently in the higher end resorts one expects ultimate service but is not prepared / allowed to show appreciation. In my reality world that is not acceptable. You may have paid a higher price to obtain that level of service, but in what way does that have impact on the employee who provided the service? Oh i know, the resort looks after their employees well....nothing looks after a labourer better than cold hard cash...A comment card does not feed their family...It is a marketing ploy to let you think you are helping the employee....They do the same thing at Olive Gardens and The Keg here in Canada. Fill out the card..You know what they get? A big fat sign on the wall "Employee of the Month" Bet the $20 bucks that I and many others left on the table went alot further than that sign did!

Do what ever you think is appropriate for the occasion.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

"I understand this is what they signed up for, but it sure doesn't seem fair"

Life isn't fair . I grew up among the poverty and as a part of my trip return to some aspect of it. By luck and the grace of God I got a US visa and many didn't. You do your best you can for the ones you can and pray for God to help the ones you can't. Go and leave knowing you are lucky and blessed. I do understand 'most' of those who follow the rules.

I have steps on how to get a husband, this one is easy:-)

Step number 5 ...LOL!

Pauline

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

Sandy I am in a business that serves food and has comment cards. The pride I feel and my employees feel when mentioned on a comment card sure makes me and my employees like our jobs better. They have many times led to personal rewards ie cash, certificates, raises and many other things. Cash is obviously the reason why we work but a close second is a sense of worth and appreciation. Some people tip good but think because they do, they have the right to expect more and treat the worker with little respect.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at Sandals/Beaches

I just went through some old threads on this topic and found this response. It is from a poster in Ocho Rios that has worked in the industry. Beautifully put and written. Definately worth a read. Here it is....

54. Re: To tip or not to tip??

12 September 2007, 15:47

I've worked on enough A/I properties, not as an employee but as an independent contractor, and spoken with enough employees, on all levels, to be able to shed a little behind the scenes light on this discussion for everyone.

First off, yes, salaries are ridiculously low, there are many, many J$4000/week employees. What you all don't seem to understand is that the hotels include gratuity in their rates. Not sure of the %. This gratuity is divided among ALL staff at the end of each month. The management thinks this is the most fair and equitable way for everyone. I'm out of the loop for a few years now, but I seem to recall employees telling me they were going home with grat in the region of J$20,000- $50,000/month depending on the season's rates and hotel occupancy for the month. In essence, the hotels seemed to feel that the grat balanced out the low salaries. It relieves their concience for paying such low salaries in the first place.

Management thinks it is an equitable system because ALL employees benefit not just the front line staff, your waiters, housekeepers, watersports guys, bartenders. The maintenance guys(electricians, plumbers, etc), the telephone operators, the purchasing clerks, the groundsmen, the guy that peels all those potatoes you guys demolish, everyone gets a fair share. How much do you think you would be able to enjoy your vacations without the service of these behind the scenes employees ?? Yes, you interact most often with your great bartenders but think about the guys from sanitation that sees to it that the bartenders have a constant supply of clean glasses, the people from stores who cart the cases of liquors to the bar, the purchasing clerk who scrambles looking for all those bananas for your dirty bananas. :) All employees can't be bartenders or everything would grind to a sad halt. In my eyes they all deserve your tips for the great vacations you enjoy. Every employee's contribution is important.

There is something else those of you who "discreetly" slip tips to their favourites should consider. Employees are generally searched when they leave the property to go home at the end of their shifts. How would you feel if your tip was found and the employee lost their jobs ?? I've seen it happen. I've seen the tears, the regrets, the pleading. I know you genuinely feel that you're helping out poor souls. Would you really be helping if they lost those jobs ?? As many have pointed out, please, help them keep their jobs. A job with a steady salary, no matter how low, plus the added grat you all don't seem to know about, is the dream of many here. Please do NOT jeopardise those jobs. Please.

Gifts with notes are much appreciated and not outlawed. If you appreciate certain individuals so much, ask them what they'd like and buy it for them, from the hotel's gift shop or from downtown. Most employees have their eye longingly on items in the shops. Just ask. Please make the effort and keep these jobs safe.

I might come across as a real kook with my next point :) but what the heck !! :) Speaking as a concerned employer and an ardent Christian, please do not teach or encourage our people to be dishonest. Little issues easily turn into bigger issues that can cause much grievance.

Your evident love for Jamaicans is always admirable, don't let it hurt people in the long run.

Blessings,

Elise