We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d151…

Here is some real valuable info?

No one deserves to be stolen from but some people don't have a clue.

Edited: 10 July 2011, 06:27
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

A $2500 necklace? Really? I would have it wrapped around my neck! Or, in my purse at least.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

Sorry for your loss Linnytoons.

But I gotta ask..Why oh why would you leave expensive and non replaceable things in your checked bags.

I will never understand this --EVER.

In our minds no one wants to believe that theft ever happens. Outside of this fairytale life and dream world---one NEVER leaves any expensive Jewelry or unreplaceable items in thier bags --left for pick up or anything else in hallways, cruise ship walks ( I know of persons that had shoes stolen from cruise ship walks ) , rooms or anywhere else.You could of purchased a $20.00 jewelry roll and put inside your bag.

Hopefully -you will not repeat it again with another hotel ANYWHERE !!..and I hope others read this.

My luggage was robbed in the airport here in the states BEFORE I even left the states for my destination. They got my clothes and shoes---but I NEVER leave anything important in checked bags anywhere--so they didn't get my jewelry or cameras.

What a loss---but be sure to claim it on your home insurance or write it off your taxes !l

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

Not my loss just posting a link to a review that all I can say is "really?"

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,386 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

The valuable info is not to pack any valuable items in your suitcase that is going to leave your hands for any period of time...which includes checked luggage or even carry on luggage. If the case has stuff in it like expensive jewelry take care and carry it yourself.

This has been discussed to death but it bears repeating. I am sorry for those people's loss.

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

Those people are in store for many hardships in their life if they aren't smart enough to figure out that it was their negligent practices rather then any resorts fault. No doubt this wont be their only loss before they finally

wake up & realize such.

Edited: 10 July 2011, 14:46
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

posted on another travel board....PLEASE READ!!!

Every year when going on vacation we always would start talking about getting my jewelry added to our home owners policy. To do this we had to get the pieces appraised which simply meant a trip to the local jeweler. With me being the biggest procrastinator in the world I simply put it off all the time.

Well this year I finally did it!!

I do not wear a lot of jewelry, just a bracelet, pair of earrings and my wedding set. When we go on vacation the only thing I wear are my wedding rings. The rest is kept at home in the safe deposit box and I take some "Island Wear" jewelry. Which is just some nice sodalite pieces set in silver and CZ earrings.

The surprise/SHOCK came when the appraisals came back for the 4 pieces that I was wearing every single day at just over $36,000.00!! I assure you we did not pay that much. It seems with the price of GOLD increasing so much the value of some pieces DH purchased several years ago had increased 300-400%.

So ladies PLEASE do not put off adding your jewelry to your home owners policy. It not only covers theft but loose of a stone or "mysterious" disappearance. This would cover a circumstance such as snorkeling and your ring comes off. Or you have a bracelet and the clasp breaks causing you to lose the bracelet.

The cost of the policy with a $500.00 deductible was $215.00 for a year. We were worried that it was tied to our home owners policy and IF the need to file a claim arose it would negatively affect the overall policy. They assured us even though it was a "rider" to the HO policy it would be considered a no fault claim. No negative impact at all toward the original policy.

Its not just on vacation that stuff happens! It would be horrible to lose our wedding rings, but to lose them and not have them insured is even worse!

Have a wonderful SAFE trip!

Tell City
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

Hope you know that appraisals are exaggerated retail prices & not of true replacement values. 40% of said appraisal would represent more of it's true value

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

An appraisal is for INSURANCE purposes. You need to READ all policy inclusions/exclusions.

Some policies are for full replacement regardless of actual price at time of loss.

The point of the post was not to discuss value. It was to ENCOURAGE the purchase of insurance.

Needless to say if a piece is lost/stolen it is now insured for the appraised amount.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

Why would anyone want t go to a island somewhere and bring expensive jewelry ?

I always bring paste --check out "Emotions.com" .

I do bring watchs...but even for my trip this year--I have already purchased a on sale divers watch as my other has broken its band .

If I was going to Monaco or Miami or L.A. --I might bring some good stuff. But why to a Island.Wear paste or less costly stuff..

And about the other posters $36,000.00 jewelry...If she has rings that carry many carats of jewels..and platinum settings or high levels of gold....she certainly could have that level of replacement cost.

I have haad my eye on a long gold Byzantine Necklace that is $7,000...if gold continues to climb it could be worth $14,000 in replacement costs in a very short times.A combination of $36,000.00 in jewelry iS NOT the top end of many familys collections.Though nice !! Not nearly the top !!

10. Re: Do not leave your luggage in the hall before leaving with va

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 12:17