We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Topic
Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

okay so i was thinking about my dec 2010, 2 week trip to jamaica to breezes runaway bay, and priced out this dec from jfk at $ 4911 to BRB, vs $4791 at RPDC !!!!

what am i missing? look up these 2 hotels on TA , they are like night and day !! 2 restaurants, 1 buffet that closes at 2pm, then its just burgers,dogs,jerk, or fries till 7pm !! OMG!! plus we paid extra for an oceanfront room. then we couldnt leave the resort without a taxi or private driver, then while i was shopping in ocho rios, the "warm and friendly" jamaican people charged me $5 to use the mens room ( without a door or lighting, because the womens was out of order-- true story- gross-i would have rather tinkled in front of everyone on the street )

i get that travelling to the "carribean " is more expensive, but really? wonder why people beg you for $$$ the moment you step of the resort! i guess what i am asking everyone here on the PDC forum is DID YOU HAVE A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE IN JAMAICA??? cause i either dont get it ( we didnt find the jamaican people at the resort warm and welcoming either ) or i am just completely out of reality!!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,675 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

i had a wonderful time last last in Negril. The reason we went was because the airfare was so much cheaper than our usual fall trip to Key West. Cost for air, hotels (we split our trip between the beach and the cliffs) and transfers was $1400.00US for two.

Obviously, we don't stay at resorts, but, we liked our rooms, especially at the Cliffs. Individual cabana, just a few feet from the cliff. I could lie in bed and watch the dolphins in the morning.

We couldn't have gone to Playa for the same price. Ocean front hotel rooms are more expensive in Playa, and from here, airfare at that time was more to Cancun.

All that said, we didn't really fall in love with Negril. This year it's back to Key West.......

Forgot to say, above costs were for a week, and only included breakfast at one of the hotels, as far as food.....

Edited: 04 August 2011, 23:00
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

<DID YOU HAVE A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE IN JAMAICA???>

Absolutely - I have been there more than 30 times since the mid 70s and stayed in everything from private villas to inexpensive inns. Almost all of my experiences have been positive and we are headed to Negril next weekend for stay #7 at Couples Swept Away.

I prefer the food, the water (you can drink it), the music and the beaches and ocean in Negril to anywhere in Mexico.

We pay about the same to stay at our AI of choice as we do in Mexico and I have found most of the people to be gracious and friendly - no different from what I have found in Mexico where most people are also gracious and friendly.

And the inclusions at Couples far exceed anything that AI resorts in Mexico offer. Scuba, snorkel trips, water skiing and more are included. And tipping is not allowed.

My reality is not yours in this case. Jamaica has been my favorite for many years and we are out and about and off resort all the time. Can't wait to return!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

I had a wonderful time in Negril. We didn't do AI either, stayed at CocoLaPalm, and had a great time. I gave them a lesser star because of room issues, but in retrospect I'd give them almost 5. We had a HUGE room, and the people there were very friendly. Yes, there were a lot of hawkers, vendors and people begging, but I get that in Playa too. To them we are filthy rich.

We plan on going back to Jamaica but to see other parts instead of Negril.

I wonder oftentimes if people have bad experiences it is because they are at AIs. The locals tend to not love the people staying at AIs. Too bad you didn't have a nice time - next time I'd try to get a more local hotel than a big resort.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

i REALLY do respect and thank you for your quick replies!!! friends and nieghbors i know LOVE- JAMAICA , and i actually thought about going back this DEC, but i just didnt get that "warm and fuzzy " feeling from JAMAICA. and i am embarrased to admit this but do you think if we stayed at a resort like THE ROYAL in jamaica would i have had a better time?

3 things bothered me about JAMAICA----not being able to walk off the resort whenever we wanted, the food at BRB (OMG- i lost 5lbs over 2 weeks ) and the begging for money and the "cold" hotel workers just out for a tip or the "warm " ones out for a little booty! ( but that happens everywhere, so that really not a negative, but not a positive either ! )

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

To your last paragraph, that's exactly why I wouldn't stay at a big resort. Seriously, check out the local hotels, right on the beach. Start with CocoLaPalm as they were great.

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

I've found in Jamaica, the further away from the resort you get, the more hospitable the people become. Anyone hanging outside of an AI is looking only for a quick buck.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

honestly in my heart, i think it was a bad hotel/resort choice and honestly i think thats why i want to give jamaica another go! but convincing the hubby---thats going to be some work!! when he sees how much $$$$ vs the amenties we are looking for----there is def going to be plenty of F-bombs, when he gets home from work!!! THANKS AGAIN !

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

I LOVED Jamaica we stayed in Negril and i honestly found the people and staff on resort the nicest people i have ever met on holiday amazingly friendly, chatty and good fun......i always struggle to pick my best holiday ever from Jamaica or Mexico - both wonderful experiences.

When we went a couple of years ago the prices were the same as Mexico dont know if its changed since.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

I went to Jamaica and liked it a lot. However, IMO Mexico is more charming (subjective) and has lots more to do off site. I would definitely go back to Jamaica but Mexico is more fun and interesting to me.

We stayed at the RIU in Ochos Rios. It was okay but nothing to write home about. The beach was nice and, well, all around it was okay. Again, I would go back but not to that resort.

8 out of 10 times I would choose Mexico. Maybe 9.

With that said, for me, I have no idea why Jamaica would be more expensive than Mexico because, again, IMO, a trip to Mexico has much more value.

Landrum

Edited: 05 August 2011, 01:33
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is Jamaica more expensive than Mexico?

you eat at buffets? seriously?