We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

New York, NY
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

Hello i am an American planning to get married to my children's father who is a Jamaican.

I wanted to know is showing your original birth certificate a definite requirement or can i just show my U.S passport and drivers license?

I don't have time to get my original birth certificate and I only a copy of it.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

In NY or Jamaica? In Jamaica I would bring original-raised seal copy.

PEACE!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

You have to send birth certificates in and must have fathers name on it. We had to send ours in a month ahead of time.

United States
Level Contributor
12,363 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

For a list of the required documents see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c22683/Jamaic…

New York, NY
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

Thanks for the replies.

Yes in NY .. I don't have time to go get my original BC i'm leaving tomorrow and this is a last minute decision on our part to get married... this wedding should've took place 18 years ago before our oldest son who just left for college Friday was born lol

I was under the assumption that i could just use my Passport and drivers license but obviously i was wrong.

So, if i am able to get the copy of my BC notarized that wouldn't be sufficient either?

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
158 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

Speaking as a lawyer, you can't get your document notarized. A notary is only confirming something is a true copy. In order to do so, s/he must have the original to see the true likeness. Hence you are left with your initial problem. Unless you know someone who doesn't care about technicalities.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

How long are you going to be in Jamaica? It takes about three weeks for the paperwork you bring to go through and get a marriage license. If you are not there for that long I seriously doubt you will be able to get married. And also no a notarized copy will not do. You need an original with a seal.

Edited: 02 September 2011, 01:15
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

My wife and I got married in Jamaica this past April; our passports were the only ID needed. We provided our info about a week before the ceremony and everything was arranged by the time we arrived!

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
215 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

"A notary is only confirming something is a true copy." A notary is confirming that you are stating it is a true copy while not under duress...What Mojo says is correct. You need passports and now they ca be readily obtained. You can expedite them, depending on how much you want to spend on their expedition. Only a passport will do; birth certificates are not acceptable...

New York, NY
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

Hello everyone.

My children father and I were married in October in a seventh day Adventist church. I was also able to get the copy of my Birth certificate notarized.

the pastor just looked at the notarized copy to just to see if my father's name was on it.

wrote everything in his book and on the certified copy of marriage register paper and handed the copy back to me. He didn't ask to see my passport .

After that, he performed the ceremony.. gave us the certified copy of marriage register .. we signed it and some other paper, paid him 5 thousand jmd .

The pastor said that he was going to submit everything to the registers office and we would be able to go request the marriage certificate in about 2 weeks. ... then we left.

However, the pastor didn't submit our papers to the register until 2-3 weeks later. I had to keep calling him to remind him to submit my papers so i can get my certificate.

He finally did it at the end of November. At first i was going to apply for my marriage certificate on line but they charge $80 u.s

since i was going back down to Ja December 7th i just decided to get it while there...

on December 9th i went to request the marriage certificate . it was a quick and painless process.. the office was empty!

The fee to have the certificate mailed to a JA address in 7 days was $1, 350 if i wanted mailed to NY it would've been an extra 3,500 I didn't want to pay that... so i had them mail it to my sister in law house and i will pick it up when i go back down.

I offered to show my passport to the register for identification but the representative preferred my driver's license instead and gave me back the passport..

So after all these years my children's father and I are finally married.... and the day after we wedded ... i asked myself why in the h3// did i marry this man. we have 1 child in college, 1 on the way to college and the last one has 2 more years before she graduate high school ... then i would have been free to do me!! oh well .

Thanks everyone for answering my questions.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Birth certificate needed or can i show passport and state Id

thanks for the update!

congrats and ALWAYS do you!

PEACE!