We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

Hello,

We are a family of six with four children ranging from ages 3-14 (at time of travel). We will be flying into Montego Bay in May and are looking for an all inclusive resort on the ocean to stay in for 5-7 days.

We want to spend $500-$600 per person and if the kids stay/eat for free that is GREAT GREAT too! Looking for a place that is not generally over run with children if possible (we will be bringing enough with us, thanks).

We will be flying into Montego Bay airport, so something in that area or perhaps Ocho Rios or Runaway Bay. Not more than two hours from the airport if possible.

We are not big on luxury, but would like the place to be CLEAN and have a fun atmosphere. We DO NOT want a large mega resort, but something this is mid sized.

Things we consider important:

All inclusive

Evening entertainment at the resort

Balconies that face ocean

Great energetic entertainment staff

Mid sized property

What do you recommend?

Thank you for your time. I am looking forward to researching your recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Illinois
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

Here is a starting list of kid friendly AI resorts in Jamaica.

Riu Tropical Bay

Breezes Trelawny

Sunset Beach

Hilton Rose Hall

Sunset Jamaica Grand

Iberostar Beach

FDR

Beaches Negril

Beaches Sandy Bay

Beaches Boscobel

Riu Tropical Bay

Riu Ocho Rios and Montego Bay

I would personally remove all the Rius from the list due to size ( they are larger then the rest on the list). I am not sure which resorts if any offer kids eat /stay free. If you are flying out of Chicago, and have not yet made reservations for a flight, take a look at US3000 out of O'hare. I am not sure if any resort will be too over run by kids in May. I have never traveled to Jamaica with my kids, so can not recommend any of the above.

Mentioned in this post
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
2,844 Reviews
Jamaica
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Beaches Negril Resort...
5,514 Reviews
Jamaica
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hilton Rose Hall Resort...
3,688 Reviews
Jamaica
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Iberostar Rose Hall...
4,656 Reviews
Jamaica
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
9,158 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Boscobel
Boscobel
Jamaica
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Illinois
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

A couple of other resorts that will accept children are Holiday Inn Sunspree and Royal Decameron.

Also, a little confused about your price, are you saying between 3600-4200 dollars for the family. And does your price include airfare, or seperate ?

United States
Level Contributor
12,649 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

If we assume that the price range you list is without air, and that you will need 2 rooms, and you want to stay in Mo Bay or go east from there, then I would look at: 1) Breezes Trelawny, 2) Holiday Inn Sunspree, and the Royal Decameron in that order. The first two options listed will have lots of children. The second and third options listed are both in Montego Bay and very close to the airport. Most of the other resorts in Jamaica that are kid friendly I would guess to be above your budget (depending on the exact date of the trip).

Mentioned in this post
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

The price range of $600-$700 is only for the resort.

We have a voucher for the air travel but if they won't work during that time of year we have a separate air fare budget.

We are willing to stay in any direction (not just East), but no further than two hours from the airport.

NorwegianMama, Thank you for the list! :) I will do as you advise and remove the Rius from the list. Large resorts can be a bit much sometimes. We have been to Jamaica twice before, but never with the children.

Thevinnie, is it cheaper depending on the date of travel for some resorts that time of year? Our travel time is very flexible and our budget can extend a little more if needed, but not much considering we will still have to pay taxes and fees.

I will start looking at the properties you all mentioned so far. Thanks for giving me some places to start.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
United States
Level Contributor
12,649 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

In Jamaica and the other islands, 'high' season runs from about Dec. 15 to about April 15 (the exact dates differ a bit from one island and one hotel to another). There is an extra charge around Christmas and New Years at most resorts above the 'high' season rates as well as in Feb. around Presidents Day. If prices dip during this period, and it varies by resort, look at dates during the first two weeks of Jan. starting a few days after New Years day.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,662 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

No one can guarantee that the resort won't be overrun with kids. If the resort allows kids, it will be luck of the draw on how many are there during the same time you are.

Also remember, that "an ocean facing balcony" is usually an upgrade at most resorts (not all though)

"Mid sized property" is a little vague.

I would look at NorwegianMama's list. It's pretty good. Look at the plusses and minuses of each resort. Find one that feels right, one you like the price of, and go for it.

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

I would think Sunset Beach in Mo Bay will be in your budget. Not sure how many others will be.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

Anod1,

When i say mid sized property I am thinking about 300 rooms.

I know no one can guarantee how many kids will be there, but some resorts are known for being kid magnets, while others that do allow children may not always attract them in hordes.

NorwegianMama provided a GREAT list! I am checking into them one at a time like you said.

Dollars don't go as far in Jamaica as they do in other countries. We may have to reexamine our budget and add a few hundred bucks per person. The Breezes Trewlawny looks good, but I remember when it used to be the Starfish and it was quite run down. Hopefully this has changed.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

thevinnie,

Thanks for the information about the seasons and rates. Good info to have a plan around.

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All inclusive resort $600-$700 per person w/ kids??

Breezes runs specials, so I think Breezes Trelawny may be within your budget. However, do you want a resort where all 6 of you will be in one room? You may have a problem finding a resort that has the 2 bedroom suite, may have to settle for 2 rooms next to each other.

Also, most times on Skyauction, you may be able to get a better deal then on the other travel websites. I know Sunset Beach, Breezes Trelawny are always listed on skyauction. Most weeks you can find FDR. Have to be careful though, sometimes a better price can be found elsewhere.

Also regarding my list, I purposely left out some of the VERY LARGE MEGA resorts ( Spanish owned), because no one in their right mind should consider those resort when traveling with small children.

Mentioned in this post