We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering in Jamaica

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Volunteering in Jamaica

We are interested in volunteering for a day during our December vacation to Jamaica. Interested mainly in helping kids - school, orphanage, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on organizations or the best way to go about arranging a day of giving back?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering in Jamaica

We will be staying in the Montego Bay / Rose Hall area.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,582 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteering in Jamaica

Hmmm!

I'm really not sure about volunteering at a school or orphanage. I think these days things such as police checks for those wanting to volunteer need to be supplied, especially if you plan on working with kids. You, after all are a stranger and not a active member of the community.

You may be better off to just donate some money to a Jamaican charitable organization or to a local church.

Also..... Visit some of the smaller shopping establishments or food stands on the roadside. You will be giving back by just thhese small simple acts alone.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteering in Jamaica

look into SOS Childrens Village-they have many programs

sos-jamaica.org

I think Blossom garden is in Mobay. There is also a teen parent shelter in Mobay-do a search and then call and see if you can come out for the day.

Also look into school-they are very open to having visitors. Maybe you can bring a craft project that you can do with a class.

I've met many people from the school for the deaf-sorry I can;t remember the name but they have a site in Mobay as well.

It's great for you to take the time while on vacation...you can find a place that would welcome you!

PEACE!

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteering in Jamaica

YeahMon,

I just asked a similar question this morning and have since found a few websites that might help you too.

Check out these:

1. http://www.familytravelnetwork.com - This site has locations as well as contact information.

2. http://www.bluemountainproject.org - I spoke with this group on the phone and they were really helpful. This is in the Blue Mountains, however and might be too far for you.

3. Jamaicans.com - Click on Helping Jamaica on the left side bar to find more sites and ways to volunteer and help while you are visiting.

I am traveling with my family in December and hope to read in one of the schools while we are there and donate supplies. I plan to contact the school directly using the number given on the Family Travel site. If the schools are not open then I plan to contact an orphanage and see if I can volunteer there for a day or two with my children.

Good luck to you and if you figure out more ways to help I would be very interested in readign about your experiences.

Safe Travels,

Beth

5. Re: Volunteering in Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2012, 04:20